Extra deep socket or something else?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a cycle rack that clamps onto the tow bar -it says it should be at a certain torque (90 - I think...need to double check). It comes with a cheap flat spanner -but I'm worried I'm not tightening it enough.

My dad has just given me a torque wrench...
The 'nut' for the cycle rack has a manual screw part on the end - so I'd need a socket 70mm deep (and diameter of 19mm)
GALLERY]

Brief look on line these seem to cost about £90. :eek:

Is there another type of torque spanner??? ...or can you get some sort of adapter.???...or cheaper versions of such deep sockets???

Sponsored Links
90 what ? NewtonMetres KilogrammeCentimetres PoundsforceFeet PoundsforceInches etc etc

The units REALLY are important when specifying torque requirements.

However, on the basis that they supply a cr&p spanner to do the job, if you can get hold of a decent ring spanner then a lump of body weight applied to the end is probably going to be good enough. After all if your weight plus the spanner's radius isn't enough, what do you plan to do then.

Bear in mind that too much torque can be worse than not enough. A sheared bolt is worse than a loose one.

I will have to go and look at them (no depth online I can see!) ... I was looking at DIY stores - but possible car places would be better...
Also just found a torque handle with different spanner heads on e-bay - but not the size I need ... :( (and it looks flimsy)
and one other place a spanner head that fits on a socket handle but for £30+ (it said 3/8" which threw me -but I get it now :oops:)
Guess the spanner head would be the way to go if i can find one for preferable less money?
Do they have a name I can use to search with?

Sponsored Links
You could use a crow's foot adaptor and amend the torque setting accordingly on the wrench. Or hit ebay for a good quality second hand deep socket

Nozzle

Thank YOU!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Crow's foot adapter is the name I was looking for !!!! Can find hundreds of them now ...and all cheaper than the one I could see!!!!

Jackrae
I will look up the right torque before I use it ...

Currently using a slightly better (more comfortable) spanner and my own body weight - but would be happier if I knew that was enough ....
If you have ever seen this type of rack they do look precarious...I spend more time checking it is still attached in my mirror than looking where I'm going

And even though I'm not weak -probably slightly stronger than average for a 40+ yr old woman - I also know that eg my brothers are stronger than me....so my maximum will be less than theirs...

If I can't get it up to torque I will have to fit a bar on to get a bit more leverage...but torque wrench is 1.5 ft long - so hopefully won't be a problem!

Just for my curiosity, is it that big nut that you are trying to tighten, the one with the knurled end that would indicate its tightened by hand first?
I guess a good adjustable spanner would be fine, but I'm not sure where the torque figure comes in!
John :)

Just for my curiosity, is it that big nut that you are trying to tighten, the one with the knurled end that would indicate its tightened by hand first?

You use the screw to tighten this clamp to the tow bar ball - you need to tighten by hand whilst holding the rack horizontal and then finish it off with a spanner to the recommended torque (looked up - is 90Nm).
This is the only thing holding it to the car (no wheels!) - it sticks out 3ft ish and weighs 67kg (12kg rack & 45kg of bikes) ...made by Thule - so should be safe ... :confused:

Ahh ok I was assuming there was some form of strapping as well if it really is just held on at the tow bar then you are right to want to ensure the correct tension. Personally I would not go near such a design.

I see and thanks for that....presumably this rack, once placed in position, is generally left there.
Nice and tight - it won't go anywhere.

Peter 1919 - they are well thought of in the cycling community - thought to be safer than the ones with straps (haven't heard any stories of people losing them -but have about ones with straps but then these are still less common...) ...also it is easier to load/unload (especially for dropped crossbar bikes -which all mine are).
I have a problem anyway with the strap ones that attach to tailgate as there is a bit of trim (post manufacture, but before I owned car) so 'correct' ones for my car don't fit...and it is a taller car (Zafira) so roof ones not really suitable...

John - unfortunately I can't leave it on all the time ..I have to park on street with limited space - would make me v.v. unpopular with the neighbours and sticks out too much from supermarket etc parking places...and I have a trailer (kept elsewhere) for getting rid of rubbish and can't have both at the same time!) -but actually it is really quick to fit ...just need to make sure I can get the right torque easily...which I will be able to do now :D

Thule are a recognised manufacturer so I guess there won't be any problems with the design....I'd be quite interested to see a pic with the thing installed on the car though, just for interest!
Once you get used to it, I can see you doing away with the torque wrench every time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back