This is doing my head in! (Please help?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've come to you at the end of my tether, in the hope someone can help. Before we start, I'll say I'm a total DIY novice, so apologies if any of this is stupid but I'm trying to get better!

I've put up some flatpack (a metal powercage) but tightening it up is proving a bit of a problem. I popped into a shop where they sold me a ratchet spanner and socket set that they said would do it. That turned out to be too small (sockets went up to 18mm). A different shop sold me a set of box spanners that they said would work, but they didn't. I ordered a 19mm socket off the internet, which fits but which didn't fit the handle I had for the ratchet spanner. So I swung by (yet another) shop earlier, where they sold me the torque wrench that goes with the 19mm socket, and said that would work.

Now it seems like some of the nuts have tightened up using the wrench, but only to a certain point. Then they just stop turning, even though they need to go tighter. I've tried it with the torque on minimum and max. Some of the others just refuse to tighten or loosen at all (the wrench does both when you move the lever on the back of the head). You hear the ratchet noise, but it does nothing to the nut at all.

Can somebody please, please tell me how to tighten these all up so I can start using the thing? Otherwise I've thrown away £700 I don't really have to throw away!

Sitting here with fingers crossed!

Sponsored Links
The shop that sold you the torque wrench are either taking the mick or they don't know what they are talking about.
Did you take one of the bolts into the shops to try it to fit the spanners or sockets ? That would be your best bet.
As to the bolts not tightening I'd assume the nuts aren't captive i.e. not welded or clamped in place and so you will need a second spanner to hold the nut whilist you are turning the bolt.
To be honest all you really need are a couple of ring spanners or even moveable spanners to get this job done.

Just for info, really.....socket sets and ratchet drives of this size are either 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2" square drive. Obviously the sockets must match this size of drive.
You don't need a torque wrench, just a pair of ring spanners (as stated by ladylola) or combination spanners (open jaw at one end, ring on the other).
Halfords have all you need! Usually, but not always, the bolt and nut heads are the same size. Its a good idea to have a washer underneath the nut.
John :)

Ladylola, yes I took it into the shop and came away with a torque wrench (what a waste of money that appears to have been!).

Thanks for your help everyone, I'll post an update when I've given it a go the way you've recommended!

Sponsored Links
A torque wrench is for when you don't want to apply too much force to something like a wheel nut on a car. Doesn't really apply to a power cage, you'll just be tightening it till it feels solid.

couple of adjustables would probably suffice! (bit hard to say without seeing it though)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back