Help with sealing a dripping joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a compression joint on old 3/4" CH pipe in the floor of the kitchen. Its dripping. Its so close to the other CH pipe that I cant get a spanner/wrench or anything else onto the nut to tighten it. That said I think the pipe doesn't look too round so maybe tightening it wouldn't have much of an effect anyway.

Is there a tape, shrink film or similar I can apply that would seal up the joint? I can't really get in to cut the pipe with a cutter or a hacksaw without digging up concrete and removing units.

Sponsored Links
Well unfortunately you are suffering because some idiot used compression fittings in an inaccessible place. I would draion down cut out a section use a couple of 3/4 X 22 solder fittings and a short length of 22 pipe. Blow down both ends of existing pipe until all water is gone, can take quite some time.

Or the bodge it way which I can never use, is to go to b n q and see what patent leak sealing goo they sell which can be used wet and smother the joint in it..

jeeez this brings back memories....

some bloke always used to say ..err to me......"cant , means ..won't try"

anyway wabbitpoo..... too many "cant's" in ya post.

hope that helps. :D

Fernox Internal leak sealant might be worth a try initially.

If not, whatever it takes you will have to remake the joint.

No such word as 'cant' in plumbing.

Sponsored Links
Question for Paul Baker re your post above;
after you have fitted the 3/4 to 22m couplings on either end of the cut out section, how do you get the 22m connecting pipe into both ends of the couplings if the pipes they are attached to are fixed i.e. unmovable ?

bathjobby said:
Question for Paul Baker re your post above;
after you have fitted the 3/4 to 22m couplings on either end of the cut out section, how do you get the 22m connecting pipe into both ends of the couplings if the pipes they are attached to are fixed i.e. unmovable ?

There's almost always enough flex, even in fixed pipes, to get a couple on. But in the worst case scenario you'd have to use the reducing couplers at each end, and make a cut in the middle of the new pipe section and use a slip coupler on that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back