Extra galvanised bracing on garage trusses and how many slates.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ill be hopefully building a garage in the late spring early summer and ill be using attic or scissor trusses split in the centre with raised collar trusses enough so i can get a car lift in. I will be bracing as recommended for sch trusses however i would also want to install galvanised bracing on the outside in the opposite direction for better strength. I worked on roofs in OZ and we used galvanised roll instead of timber. I cant seem to find galvanised band more than 10m lengths. Does anyone know where i could buy this in the UK or even in Ireland.

The trusses will be spaced at 600mm spacing, one velux in between the rafters and installing 600mm x 300mm slates double lapped.

Ive been reading that for 600x300mm slates, 13 should cover a mtr sq however when im doing my calculations im getting more.

If my rafter length is 5.3m long to the ridge with 50mm over hang into the gutter. Think its a 181mm gage which works out at 28 battens. 10.5m length the garage. 10.5 divide by 303mm = 34.6. 35 slates long x 28 slates hgh = 952 slates one side.

10.5 x 5.3 = 55.65sq area. Round the slates of to 1000 and divide that by 55.6 is 18 a square meter. 5 extra per sq meter im getting. My measurements could be wrong. Xmass eve day drinks so forgive me if im wrong haha

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

If the roof pitch is 35 degrees and the length of the rather is 5.3. with 600x300 slates, how many rows of battens would i need to get me to the ridge. Once i have this measurement i can work out how many slates ill need.

@ 35 ,if its a sheltered area then 75mm headlap will be fine. exposed go for 100mm headlap. the charts will provide anything else you might want to know

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back