Extra Light Switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like an extra light switch in my upstairs bedrooms and need some advise in where to lay down the wires.

I want to do the leg work myself, chase out the walls, plaster them back up and then pay someone to connect! .....but where do I lay the wires to?

If I have a 1G 2 way light switch and wire it up, where would I lay the wire to? Would I lay the wire to the lamp holder or to the existing pull cord switch?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
do I need 2 set of wires or just 1?

Was going to use 1 wire in the switch to run in to the pull cord switch..... but do I need to run another wire back to the switch, making it 2 sets of wires?

At your existing switch you should have a common/permanent live and switch live and hopefully an earth. This existing switch must have a two way function for you to add a second switch to it.

Then between that switch you need a three core and earth cable.

I assume you have old wiring colours red & black.
A picture or diagram of the inside of the existing switch would help.

Also routing new cables, needs to be in the permitted safe zones and newly buried cable within walls/partitions that is not at least 50mm within wall (both sides of wall) and not mechanically protected, must then be protected by a residual current device (RCD).

Sponsored Links
Was going to use 1 wire in the switch to run in to the pull cord switch..... but do I need to run another wire back to the switch, making it 2 sets of wires?
What you really need is to do some basic learning on how lighting circuits are wired.

Need some more advise please?

I have just brought a Crabtree 1G 2Way Switch.

The instructions shows how to wire up but I think I've brought the wrong wire!

The instructions shows using 1.0mm 3-Core and Earth cable.

The wire that I have brought is 1.5mm Twin and Earth Heavy Duty Lighting circuit cable.

I'm not sure if I should buy some 1.0mm 3 core and earth cable or use my 1.5mm Twin and Earth cable?

You can't use twin & earth (unless you double it up) as you need 3 cores. Your existing switch also needs to be 2 way. You run a 3 core + earth between the two switches.

The diagram at the top shows old colours and doesn't show the earth.

[edit] fixed image tags

The instructions shows using 1.0mm 3-Core and Earth cable.

The wire that I have brought is 1.5mm Twin and Earth Heavy Duty Lighting circuit cable.

I'm not sure if I should buy some 1.0mm 3 core and earth cable or use my 1.5mm Twin and Earth cable?

Wire between switches, using three core and earth 1.0mm2 should be fine.
:rolleyes:

or this in new colours, remember the earths require connecting between both switches and light, even though not on diagram. Also as you are using a pull cord swicth, this requires the ability to operate a two way function.

two_way_harmonised.jpg

http://www.screwfix.com/p/2-way-10ax-ceiling-pull-cord-switch/70874

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back