Extra socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am forward planning and want to put a double socket in the hallway,got the cable got the socket and box and have routed the cable through to the cupboard under the stairs where electrical box is situated, now is this a job I can tackle myself,I am quite competent with plenty of tools and enthusiasm to match but wanted some advice before starting, thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
No disrespect but I would say that if you have to ask then - apparently not.

Have you taken off a consumer unit front before?

Many people fit their own sockets, however most take a chance and all inspection and testing goes to the wind. It is permitted to take a spur from the consumer unit, however you should also work out volt drop, test the loop impedance etc ect. The problem is if you form a new circuit which is the best approach then the LABC want you to pay a fee, if you spur off another circuit there is no LABC fee but the circuit is not as safe. In the main DIY people don't open the consumer unit and it is the opening of the consumer unit which is the dangerous bit, as often there is no way to isolate the consumer unit without breaking the DNO seals so you are working with live parts. Consumer units vary, and doing the work with some is no problem but with others your really taking a chance.

I would say read up how I was on Winky pages then decide if you really want to DIY this work.

Where in the "electrical box" did you plan to attach this cable?
What size cable have you got?
Are you aware of the requirement for RCD protection for sockets? Is this feature available in your "electrical box"?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for both replys,scratching my head now... Firstly got the right correct cable from a local elec shop,secondly have got an older style fuse box,found the sockets feed in box,didn't know if I could add the this feed for new socket or have a spare opening in fusebox and wondered if I could use this "spare" solely for the new socket...hope this makes sense,might have some terminology wrong.

Thanks for both replys,scratching my head now... Firstly got the right correct cable from a local elec shop,secondly have got an older style fuse box,found the sockets feed in box,didn't know if I could add the this feed for new socket or have a spare opening in fusebox and wondered if I could use this "spare" solely for the new socket...hope this makes sense,might have some terminology wrong.
You can do either of those options, BUT if you have never worked in a rewireable fusebox before (even more so than a consumer unit) they are dangerous places to be sticking things in.

I reckon you need to have a rethink, either feed the socket from an existing socket, or get a man in.

Not to mention RCD protection on your socket(s)

1. What size is the "correct" cable
2. Older style fuse boxes do not have RCD protection and this is a requirement for any new sockets. You can post a photo of your box if you are not sure
3. If you use a spare opening then that constitues a new circuit. To do this you have to raise a case with your local building control and pay their fee. Its a legal requirement.
See here
DIY Electrical Work and the Law
Also you would need to demonstrate to them that the work you do complies with BS7671 which it will not if you do not have an RCD and/or you do not have the ability to test and certify the circuit.
4. Having tools and enthusiasm does not qualify you to go inside a fuse box where there are live, fatal voltages present, even with the main switch turned off.

My advice is that you get yourself a friendly local electrician who can do this job for you, safely and legally. Probably in an hour or so.

There is always a way, using a RCD FCU at the consumer unit and tapping into the ring final supply you could do the work and keep within the rules assuming you can test the work you have done. The cheapest tester is likely the EZ150 at about £50 but it does not do all the tests. So add up the price of tester, price of RCD FCU and then the cost of using a scheme member electrician starts to melt away.

I would get a quote note what he wants to do then decide if really worth all the hassle of DIY. Also of course assess the risks, using an extension lead has some risk and to fit a fixed socket can remove some of those risks, but if that socket is incorrectly fitted the risks go up again. My father-in-law does all his own home electric work but if it goes wrong only he is at risk. It was he who said to me I would never forgive myself if my children were injured due to no RCD and he pushed me to fit them, yet he still has not got one fitted. Every thing we do has some risk, what you have to consider is the risk worth it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back