Extractor Fan advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

The extractor fan in my bathroom stopped working ages ago, and i removed it thinking id get a new one... that was years ago and i've forgotten the make/model so I can't simply buy the same one again.

it was a 240v in-line fan (4") and had a timer on it. it looked similar to this one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IN-LINE-EXTRA...ling_Air&var=640004909238&hash=item950343e8b6

Could someone who knows about these things recommend me a make/model that they think is good/reliable/quiet etc. I don't want to 'go cheap' on ebay and regret it when I receive some sub-par fan.

and my second question is this...

my shower room has no windows, and the door fits pretty snugly. for the extractor fan to work effectively, do I need some sort of trickle vent in the door to allow air flow in? or am I over complicating matters?

thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You could go cheap and replace it again in a year or two. The better quality makes such as vent axia should last longer but will cost more. They will be quieter on a plaster and brick wall than on a dry lined wall or plasterboard ceiling.

If your door seal is that good then you will need some form of make up air to allow the extractor fan to work at it's best.

thanks for the advice.

after seeing the price difference between the cheapos on ebay and vent axia, i'm going to risk the ebay one.

cheer

Sponsored Links
Shave the bottom half-inch off your bathroom door.

If there's no way for air to get in, even the most powerful fan you can find won't do much.

I don't want to 'go cheap' on ebay and regret it when I receive some sub-par fan.
You could go cheap and replace it again in a year or two. The better quality makes such as vent axia should last longer but will cost more.
thanks for the advice but I'm going to go cheap on eBay and buy a sub-par fan.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hah, yes I see what that looks like.
the reply i got suggested that even a cheap fan would last a couple of years. 2 years for £10 isn't that bad in my mind.
the vent axias look like they are over £70. that's a big difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back