extractor fan confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and have a query about fitting an extractor fan. I have fitted a few in the past but the scenario i am in is a little different so any advice would be welcome.

We have a new kitten and she has her own little room where I would like to fit an extractor fan, the fan will need to be wired up from a mains socket not the normal lighting circuit as it cannot be acccessed in the room in question hence my confusion.
I believe I need to run a spur (3amp) from the socket which is pretty straight forward and this is where I need some advice. The extractor has a Live, Neutral and 2 switched terminals for the time functions. Do I wire the live and neutral directly from the spur or do I fit another switch between the spur and extractor?

Any advice would be most welcome, many Thanks in advance

p.s. the extractor fan in question is a QuietAir 100T (http://www.airflow.co.uk/AIR1-SHOP/pdf/OperatingInstructions/QuietAir/9041552_QuietAir_100HT_120HT_Instructions%20.pdf)

Sponsored Links
thanks for the prompt reply, page 3 shows a 4 core cable so i assume 2 cores for the switched terminals. Are these taken from the spur or a switch after the spur?

You only need a 2-core cable if you do not require timer or humidity control, in which case terminals L and 1 must be linked. You can also link L and 2 for a higher speed setting.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply but this does not answer my question regarding whether I need to put a switch between the spur and fan also i would like to use the timer function also

Thanks for the reply but this does not answer my question regarding whether I need to put a switch between the spur and fan also i would like to use the timer function also

If you want to use the timer function then yes, you will need a switch to control the live feed to terminal 1. It really is all there in the instructions - ignore terminal 2 if you do not require any speed control.

You only need a 2-core cable if you do not require timer or humidity control, in which case terminals L and 1 must be linked. You can also link L and 2 for a higher speed setting.

Surely you mean 2 core and earth? (for the benefit of others who may think that just because it's a class 2 fan that a CPC isn't necessary).

Surely you mean 2 core and earth? (for the benefit of others who may think that just because it's a class 2 fan that a CPC isn't necessary).

Yup. Although if it's just going to be a case of a very short length of surface mounted flex between the FCU and fan, I'd say 2-core between the two would have sufficed, as there would be an earth connection available locally at the FCU should anyone ever decide to install a class I fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back