fan overrun issue

Yes switch live has 230v to earth when on and 0v to earth when off. Timer works fine when testing so I don't think I've fried it.
As you've undoubtedly decided for yourself, this really makes no sense. If the L and S/L have the right voltages (relative to both N & E) at the right times, and you've tried connecting L and S/L to the fan 'both ways around', it really does make sense that it does not work 'as expected', whereas it does on the bench (when you presumably are supply exactly the same voltages to the same terminals.

I find it hard not to conclude that you must be 'missing something' - but goodness knows what! You haven't somehow managed to get the perm L and N connections to the fan swapped, have you (that would probably give the results you are observing)?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
I agree it must be something, and an error on my part would seem to be the logical answer, but I can't find my error.

Anyhow thanks for thinking about it.

Sponsored Links
Disconnect the wiring from the fan, and check the voltages on the wiring with the switch on and off.
If there is some problem with the supply, the fan itself will cause false readings.

Just to update...

One of those odd jobs.

put it back on the wall and it all worked!

Everything the same!

The only thing I can think of is that the fan seems to reset itself after isolation, so when first started after power loss it switches straight on, and switches off when the light is switched off.
I guess its a mechanism to test it works when first installed.

If you then switch on at light switch a second time, you get the 120 second delay, and when off the over run.

Thing is I did keep switching it on and off a few times.

But I guess it was this reset thing

More likely the neutral wernt in properly
A good start would have been to verify the neutral by testing voltage L to N

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back