Extractor fan in kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

don’t know if this is correct place to post this but had lots of useful tips here before.

I know there is min height from hob for extractor fans but ours has been installed at 1.05 m above hob so I’m concerned about it’s effectiveness ? Also we have built a massive kitchen diner and my wife has said ok to a built in hood that extracts for a kitchen diner half that size. Our kitchen has roof windows that don’t open so I’m concerned about ventilation. Or would the extractor not help much with that anyway.
The extractor rate is 650 m3/ hr but room size says should be around 1100. But wife concerned about noise

Any advice experience here?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Height won't matter too much, but higher up tends to require a wider collection area.

The room/ extract rate issue is less important for hoods, as almost all the vapour and odour is extracted at source.

So the key factors are sufficient size to collect from the hob/ oven below and efficient extract fan and duct.

This photo shows size of extractor compared to hob, it’s a 100cm wide range, 6 burners.

This is the extractor
ELIBLOC HT80 - 72cm

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...UWbfApfxWTPKMloP-tK11SzuNdzZdSJxoCA8IQAvD_BwE

what do you think @^woody^ or anyone?

And is there any point in moving it down say 10cm, although hole to outside already drilled so maybe not poss….

I was also thinking if we still here in many years to come and are old maybe too high to switch on!

Last edited:
The main problem with most hoods is that they are designed for aesthetics not for efficiency.

The problem with that hood and similar is that vapour will not be directed into the fans, but hits the underside then a lot goes sideways. The lower the hood the more vapour escapes, so it's actually beneficial to have such a hood higher.

This is an inherent problem with many hoods, you wont eliminate it just be aware of it.

Sponsored Links
With a canopy extractor, one thing you can do is mount it in a wider topbox, with the sides projecting further down, to form an inverted tray that will tend to capture rising steam and fumes so the fan sucks them away.

Mine is wider than the hob to catch sideways drift.

Your looks too low, to my eye.

Edit
But you say it is 1050mm above hob, which is about right so you won't bang your face on it.

With a canopy extractor, one thing you can do is mount it in a wider topbox, with the sides projecting further down, to form an inverted tray that will tend to capture rising steam and fumes so the fan sucks them away.

Mine is wider than the hob to catch sideways drift.

Your looks too low, to my eye.

Edit
But you say it is 1050mm above hob, which is about right so you won't bang your face on it.

yes it is 1050 above hob, your suggestion makes sense too. Overall from yours and woodys comments doesn’t seem like it will be disastrous as it is? However I was thinking when I’m old and shrunk a bit it might too high for me to reach!

yes it is 1050 above hob, your suggestion makes sense too. Overall from yours and woodys comments doesn’t seem like it will be disastrous as it is? However I was thinking when I’m old and shrunk a bit it might too high for me to reach!
This hob extractor does vent to the outside..?

you could if necesary have an elbow and short extension on the duct? IIRC the duct comes out of the top of yours.

20180127_141337.jpg

Or a switch on the wall?

or if it is not for many years... time for a new one

you could if necesary have an elbow and short extension on the duct? IIRC the duct comes out of the top of yours.

View attachment 265851

Or a switch on the wall?

or if it is not for many years... time for a new one

yes good ideas, actually got an isolator switch for fan in a cupboard, lower down obvs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back