Kitchen extraction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

At present there is no ventilation in my kitchen which i understand is against building regs f so want to get some in asap.

I am going to extract my kitchen hood to outside and also put in a small extractor.

My question is, what type of extrator is best a time delayed or one with a humidistat. I'm thinking of going with the humidistat extractor below as I think this will provide me with intermittant extraction as needed rather than the timer. Do these work well and do they kick in alot? If they only turn on when theres high humidity it might not turn that much so maybe a timer fan is the best way to go??

I'm really not sure the best way so any help would be most appreciated.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/39977/Heating-Cooling/Extractor-Fans/Xpelair-SL150HT-Axial-35W-Fan

Sponsored Links
I don't think you are required to add extraction unless you are refurbing or remodelling the kitchen. There are plenty of older kitchens in use that never had any form of mechanical extraction, the owners didn't suddenly break the law overnight as soon as the regs were updated.

That said, having one is a very good idea, I don't see why would would need two, Unless you have a very large kitchen. The kitchen hood will suffice on it's own, just remember to switch it on every time you cook, and all the smells and steam will be taken care of. If it's already on an outside wall the ducting will be very short, and therefore very effective.

Unfortunately for me the kitchen has been refurbed.

Would i also need to add background ventilation or would the intermittant mechanical extraction be enough.

I was thinking that the humidistat extractor would cover the need for background ventilation

I'm going to hire a diamond core drill for the extractor so it would't take long to drill in a decent sized hole and cover with a vent.

don't quote me but I expect this reg only applies to new kitchens eg. if you were forming a new one in a different room of the house. In most cases it is cheaper and easier to open the windows regularly (if you have any), especially when cooking. A cooker hood is a good idea as it extracts direct from the cooker eg. greasy fumes etc. A humidistat extractor however you might find a pain as it may come on when simply boiling a kettle.
Here is an 'interesting' read if you have the time........
http://www.vent-axia.com/knowledge/buildingregs/partf.asp
Unless you are getting a condensation problem I wouldn't bother.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Another post that is particularly relevant to me at the moment!!

We have just had our extensions finished and I got the council building inspector round to issue our completion certificate. he can't do this though until our kitchen has been installed. This is going in EXACTLY the same place as the old one. Not only did he say we require a Part P certificate but we also require adequate ventilation - what is this and how do I comply?

I will ask him (I wasn't there when he visited) but want to get a heads up first.

Thanks.

A slight hijack there by “screwed” but the answer is relevant to both. Part P is for the electrics but this will only apply if you’ve installed a new circuit, additional points or fused isolators. If you've had any new electrical work done, I hope whoever did it was certified or you could just have opened an awful can of worms & retrospective certification is not an option! You will in any case need a socket or fused spur for the extractor anyway so make sure you get it done by a Part P certified spark & you get a BS 7671 compliance certificate from him; your BI WILL want to see this before he will issue a completion certificate!

The BR’s don’t apply retrospectively to old kitchens but I believe they do apply to renovations as well as extensions or new builds but am not 100% sure. If you’re fitting a new kitchen, it’s a really bad idea not to provide a modern & adequate ventilation system in any case or it won’t look good for very long!

Minimum forced external extraction rates for a kitchen are:

• 30 l/min adjacent to a hob
• 60 l/min elsewhere in the kitchen

Personally, I would go for a twin fan hood with the highest extraction rate you can find as the minimum rates above aren’t nearly enough if you do any serious cooking; most of the snazzy hoods you see are designed to look good but are woefully inadequate when the going gets tough. You will also need to provide a means for an equal amount of air to get into the kitchen or you’ll be trying to create a vacuum. This could be an air brick an open window or even leaving the kitchen door ajar if the rest of the house is well ventilated. I wouldn’t bother with humidity stat control.

Apologies if it was a hijack but I didn't want to start a new almost identical thread. I will speak to our BI regarding what he'll want to see. We haven't touched any electrics in the kitchen yet, I will make sure they are Part P. So long as the Bi sees the certificates they need to see what else will concern them??

Apologies if it was a hijack but I didn't want to start a new almost identical thread. I will speak to our BI regarding what he'll want to see. We haven't touched any electrics in the kitchen yet, I will make sure they are Part P. So long as the Bi sees the certificates they need to see what else will concern them??
No problem for me. If you haven’t done anything as far as the kitchen is concerned that’s fine but who did the electrics on the extension, is he referring to that as well? A new kitchen will almost certainly need repositioning/additional sockets/spurs/lights etc. & if you’ve new circuits in the extension, this work must be carried out by a Part P spark & you must ensure you get a BS 7671 compliance certificate; no compliance certificate means no completion certificate & one spark can’t (not supposed to!) certify someone else’s work so you can’t do it retrospectively. You can still DIY electrical work but you have to notify your LABC BEFORE you start & they will want to inspect 1st fix on the cables/boxes etc. & then will (supposed to) come & test the new circuits but, depending on your LABC, this don’t seem to be working too well!

Regards what else he will want to see, it depends on weather or not any of the trades you’ve used by your extension works is regulated (electrics, glazing, gas, oil, pressurised heating system etc.) & they have issued you with the necessary compliance certificates which the BI will almost certainly want to see; I presume you’ve had other BI inspections on the extension at the relevant build stage?

Well, he's not our original BI, they have swapped them all around. This is the first time this guy has been out to us and all he wants to see is the Part P certification, a FENSA cert (still waiting for that) and he said something about ventilation but I wasn't there so don't know what and I was un-aware of ventilation causing problems with regard to signing work off!

I will have to speak to him tomorrow and also dig our our original gas works notice and NICEIC cert!

Thanks.

Well, he's not our original BI, they have swapped them all around. This is the first time this guy has been out to us and all he wants to see is the Part P certification, a FENSA cert (still waiting for that) and he said something about ventilation but I wasn't there so don't know what and I was un-aware of ventilation causing problems with regard to signing work off!

I will have to speak to him tomorrow and also dig our our original gas works notice and NICEIC cert!

Thanks.
Sounds like you have the certification covered for the extensions. Even though your, presumably gutted, kitchen may not be directly associated with your new extension, the BI obviously sees it as part of wider renovation work your undertaking on the property; this must comply with current regulations & depending on how extensive the renovation is, can be a bit of a minefield! All you need to do for the kitchen is provide ventilation to the minimum rates for your kitchen; FYI you can download & read part F here;

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/1115314110382.html

& ensure any electrical work in the kitchen is Part P & you have the necessary BS 7671 certificate.

Hi thanks for replies...although a little off topic :LOL:

i have decided to hire a diamond core drill, extract cooker hood to outside and also while i've got the drill do another hole and put a vent over it.

While i've got the drill i might also put some more vents in the other rooms of the house with outside walls. Does that sound practical?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back