Extractor fan & in-room ducting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

First post, here goes!

I am converting a bedroom into a bathroom and need to install an extractor fan. However the external wall and the shower are at opposite ends of the room. I thought about installing a bigger diameter fan to improve ventilation, but the external wall is traditional stone and I'd like to make the smallest hole possible. I can't run ducting through the ceiling. Therefore I was thinking of running a box section for the ducting along the top corner of the room.

However I can't work out what sort of fan is best and how to go about installing it to look best. For example, would I use an inline fan and, if so, how do I build this into the ducting so that I can plasterboard and skim around it, whilst still having it accessible for maintenance i.e. I don't want to permanently box it in.

Many thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Yep, building inspector has identified one being required and the electrician is aware, thanks.

Thanks for the helpful responses arguing about whether one is required, or indeed whether for some reason I'm making it up. Not that I need to justify myself to an internet warrior, but here's the lines from the building inspector's email:

2. A minimum 15L/sec mechanical extract fan will be required in the new bathroom

3. The electrical work should be carried out by an electrician who is a member of a Competent Person Scheme otherwise Building Control will need to inspect cables at first fix stage and an electrical test report will be required for checking.

Can anyone actually offer any advice as to issue?

Sponsored Links
Hi Ferret,

Building regulations so say that you only need to extract 15 l/s of air to pass but if you wanted the extract to be affective we would recommend an air flow that would achieve a minimum of 10 air changes every hour.

If you could confirm the size of your bathroom and the length of the duct to get to the wall and how many bends you would need, and also if you have an openable window, we can offer a fan selection to suit trying to keep the hole size as small as possible.

There are also inline fans available that have a removable fan section for ease of maintenance.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/forum-rules-general-info.19448/
see no. 3

Last edited by a moderator:
sheds - sorry I'm a little lost on this one, what do you mean, the OP has asked a question and we've offered a solution, all we've then done is link to a solution, the OP is then free to use this information to either track the cheapest option locally or via the web, it also offers them all the information to enable them to find a cheaper solution based on the fan specification. I thought a forum was all about offering help. I suppose we could have directed them to the Vent Axia website and then let them search the web themselves but Vent Axia online prices may have too high for the OP to see the fan as an Option. Please help us to offer the best advise without you thinking we just want a sale under any circumstances, which i can assure you if you know us and have ever spoken to us for help is far from the truth. Help us to change your mind. I've had a read of the terms and conditions and can't see we've done anything wrong, but we are here to learn
Look forward to posting with your blessing in the future - again please help us to help the OP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back