Extractor fan in utility room, required ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I am just in the process of finishing off an extension on my house which incorporates a utility room. This has a large opening window and backs onto the integral garage. I don't intend putting a sink in the utility room as quite frankly we don't need one and wont use much it if I installed one.
My question is, will we need an extractor fan in this room if there is no sink?

The tumble dryer will vent straight out through it's own vent through the wall so the only other water related item in this room will be the washing machine which doesn't produce much if any condensation.
I am getting varied answers to this as it seems to be a bit of a grey area. Even the local planning office don't seem to be 100% sure (Or just don't want to commit themselves) so any accurate replies would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The answer really depends on your own living habits and how much moisture you will create (for instance drying clothes in there), hence no one giving you a straight yes/no.

Thanks for the replies. Basically the only way cloths will be dried in there is in the tumble dryer. Otherwise they will go on the line out side. My reason for asking is I don't want the building inspector to refuse to sign it off because of no extractor but don't want to fit one unnecessarily as we will never use it.

Sponsored Links
Yes, he will not sign it off.

The purpose of the room is that of a utility room. B.C. will ask for mechanical ventilation.

The useage of the room may change in the future or so may the homeowners. However, the purpose of the room is clear and is being furnished as such.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back