building regs 'grey area' utility room

B Regs do change, but you can only apply the regs applicable at the time the app was submitted.
Thats interesting as he has made us do things that have become new BR since 2011, like a fireplace plate and a couple of other small jobs?

Sponsored Links
sorry...dont want to muddy the waters...ignore that last comment...not important to my question :)

You should really stop making comments on B Regs when you really don't understand them, this is categorically NOT a change of use under any legal definition contained in the B Regs.
Lol. I get the impression you think you are the Oracle on b/regs and your interpretation is the only one that matters.

SMH.

Sponsored Links
Lol. I get the impression you think you are the Oracle on b/regs and your interpretation is the only one that matters.

SMH.
Your comment on "change of use" was just wrong, plain and simple, not open to any interpretation
"the only one that matters." had to laugh at that, as you were the one that categorically told me I was wrong when offering two alternative interpretations of the B Regs.
a new ceiling was put in above the utility room, that BR had to be involved with ...would that affect you opinion?
No, that would be a material alteration but would be considered by itself in relation to the celing, the fact that its now a utility or whatever wouldn't make any difference,

No, that would be a material alteration but would be considered by itself in relation to the celing, the fact that its now a utility or whatever wouldn't make any difference,[/QUOTE]
Thanks again...really appreciate all the help :)

Your comment on "change of use" was just wrong, plain and simple, not open to any interpretation
"the only one that matters." had to laugh at that, as you were the one that categorically told me I was wrong when offering two alternative interpretations of the B Regs.

No, that would be a material alteration but would be considered by itself in relation to the celing, the fact that its now a utility or whatever wouldn't make any difference,
All of your posts are full of "as a BCO, I would do this, but another BCO might do that" statements.

So you acknowledge that another inspector may interpret things differently. So there you go. :rolleyes:

So you acknowledge that another inspector may interpret things differently. So there you go. :rolleyes:
Certainly do, however in some situations its very clear and is not open to any interpretation, for example your "change of use" comment for a kitchen to a utility, care to show me where this is in any statutory instrument?

If its decorated and cannot be messed up, get a window mounted fan, and a new glass unit made up for the window. Leave the old glass for the new owner to re-install when they move in. £100, objective achieved, and stress over!

Certainly do, however in some situations its very clear and is not open to any interpretation, for example your "change of use" comment for a kitchen to a utility, care to show me where this is in any statutory instrument?
The statutory instruments do not go into that level of detail, so no one can.

But in a practical level, the difference between a utility and a kitchen would be an extra 5 and 30 l/s in extract rates, so clearly there's a difference in usage.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The statutory instruments do not go into that level of detail, so no one can.
No. The only change of use's applicable to a dwelling is "the building is used as a dwelling, where previously it was not". Just to clarify, this means if it is a shop, factory, agricultural building etc and the use of the building is to become a dwelling and "the building is not a building described in classes 1 to 6 in Schedule 2, where previously it was" this would only apply if a porch, conservatory is to be altered. Nowhere does it state that a "change of use" applies to individual rooms within a dwelling. It can't be any more clear.

So where a loft is converted to a bedroom where previously it was storage, that's not 'a change of use'? Good to know.

How are the public meant to understand and interpret the regulations if professionals cant even agree

just asking for a friend.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back