Extractor fan misfit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen has a wall-mounted Xpelair extractor fan, which is u/s.

The hole in the wall is approximately 9ins * 8ins.

When I shopped around for a replacement, I found that the current one had been superseded, and there is no fan available with a plate big enough to cover the aperture.

The other fans on the market seem to depend on having an aperture made to their requirements, and I've been unable to find anything I can adapt.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
If the one you would like to have installed, requires a smaller opening, make a wooden 'plate' to cover existing hole, with the new size hole cut in that.
P

Well, I did think about that, but I was concerned about vibration, particularly from a noise point of view, but also because it would eventually work loose the patching round the wooden insert.

Sponsored Links
Faint heart and all that ... tis not a big job !! Fix the thing with those problems in mind .. screw the board to wall ... the fan will likely be of low vibration .. until the blades get dirty and set up imbalance ... My kitchen canopy outlet is converted from expelair in the manner described .. no probs 10 yrs now, but it is out of sight !!

Could, perhaps, put a frame inside old hole .... Or rebuild around the aperture to suite ... I think that is about it, unless you move house.
P

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back