Extractor fan outlet to go through tiled roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to install an extractor fan in my bathroom, however due to its location the only way I can attach the outlet for the duct is through the slate roof. All of the extractor fans I see for sale have a flat outlet grill for mounting on the wall or under eves.

Can anybody advise what outlet I can/should use through the roof to prevent water coming in and whether this is feasible and how to get it through the slate?

Sponsored Links
And a fan designed to be operated in the horizontal plane, rather than the vertical one. Believe me, some are not!

I like Greenwood Airvac fans.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your advice and information. Access to the slate roof where the vent would go is very easy as it just sits above a flat roof dormer. The actual duct will come out of the bathroom ceiling above the shower into the loft and then run horizontally along the bathroom ceiling, but in the loft space, until it hits the slope of the slate roof (total distance approx 80 cm). Therefore the duct will not be vertical so I presume I do not need a vertical operated fan.

Also what is a condensation trap and do I still need one if the duct is horizontal?

sorry to hijack,
could you not just core a hole through the wall to outside(assuming you have one for the bathroom)if you have then do this and just fit a high rise vent kit and backdraft shutter.

a condensation trap is for when the warm air returns to water when it cools.it traps the water and runs away through the pipe rather than running back down the duct and through the fan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back