Extractor fan - super noisy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just installed a new elica 80cm cooker hood which for some reason when you switch the fan on it stays on the full speed..when you click the touch screen to slow the fan down it just turns off.

I presume its faulty but just wanted to check as all I've done is replace the existing fan with this new one and workeod up to the existing fused spur.

One thing I have f'd up with is I didn't open the existing vent pipe up to the outside.its 100mm buttbut extractor has a 150mm vent hole so I just bought a reducer to step it down to 100 and use 100mm flexy ducting.
It does say in the manual it will make it slot noisier so I might end up just using the charcoal filters and not venting it outside as I've already tiled and finished.

Sponsored Links
Reducer is not the cause of your problem. As you suspect it's a faulty appliance.

So we just had an engineer out who said.. and I quote

'the unit is used to take smells away not to take steam or smoke'

He also said that as I used a reducer it would burn the motor out in a few months

Its a https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/shire-90-blk/elica-shire90blk which says it does 713 m/hr Max extraction rate.

Am I missing something here... he said its style over content as the opening wasn't very big to draw the steam out. We had a pan of boiling water on the stove and water water dripping all over the place... all down the tiles and the extractor and the unit sounds like a plane taking off.

We had a pan of boiling water on the stove and water water dripping all over the place... all down the tiles and the extractor and the unit sounds like a plane taking off.

It sounds to me like it is set to "recirculate" not "extract"

Does it have a lever or blanking plate or something? Is there a blockage?

he said its style over content

yes, I can see why he might think that.

SHIRE-90-BLK_1_Supersize.jpg

I can't even see where it sucks the steam in.

If you have any chance of returning it as a faulty unit, I'd try to get one of their less whimsical designs. The canopy hoods, and the Elibloc, seem very good.

Sponsored Links
No, you lift the glass front up and there is the big motor in it. It looks like the right hand side is where you can put the filter in if its not using the ducting (it doesn't have one in as you need to unscrew it to put it in)

If you put your hand on the motor there's no suction as all but the top vent is pushing air out.. its got the little backdraft doors on which flap open when its on full power.

The unit is really noise and the air coming out of the top is pretty fast.

He did take photos too as it invalidates the warranty if you use the wrong ducting.

The wife was there not me but there is nothing being drawn into the unit to extract it back out.

I've taken some photos, when I remove the ducting I can see the top is blowing.

There's no suction at all from the bottom.

Attachments

• fan5.jpg
    fan5.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 285
  • fan4.jpg
    fan4.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 286
  • fan3.jpg
    fan3.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 1,057
  • fan2.jpg
    fan2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 295
  • fan1.jpg
    fan1.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 262
i wonder where the air comes from, that it blows out.

Can you hold a smouldering joss-stick or cigarette to it?

then air must be being sucked into the "ends of the barrel" where the blower is.

Test it with a smouldering joss stick or cigrette, or scraps of tissue.

Show us the adaptor you fitted to the spigot with the butterfly valve.

next to, and on, the spigot.

Does it touch the butterfly?

Hi,

I've just installed a new elica 80cm cooker hood which for some reason when you switch the fan on it stays on the full speed..when you click the touch screen to slow the fan down it just turns off.
What did the engineer say this was caused by? To me it still seems you have a faulty fan & it definitely is not caused by a reducer which would invalidate the warranty.
Ask the supplier to replace it if the engineer did not fix it.
As for air flow, the only apparent thing in your pics is as John says it may be the back draught valve not opening properly, it should be very light & loose fitting in the opening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back