Extractor fan vent tile in hanging tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I need to fit an extractor fan in the side of my new dormer, which will be clad in vertical plain tiles of Sandtoft Humber (Tuscan colour). I've only been able to find one place that sells what I think I need but it isn't available.
Sandtoft Humber Tuscan vent terminal

Are they standard fit? For example, my tiles are 265 x 165mm so if I can't get an exact colour match, will any of these do the job?
Harcon plain roof tile vent terminals

Are there any other makes to search for? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello

I need to fit an extractor fan in the side of my new dormer, which will be clad in vertical plain tiles of Sandtoft Humber (Tuscan colour). I've only been able to find one place that sells what I think I need but it isn't available.
Sandtoft Humber Tuscan vent terminal

Are they standard fit? For example, my tiles are 265 x 165mm so if I can't get an exact colour match, will any of these do the job?
Harcon plain roof tile vent terminals

Are there any other makes to search for? Thanks
Is going vertical (through the roof) not an option?

Thanks for the replies.
Is going vertical (through the roof) not an option?
It's what the roofer suggested but it the wiring is already in place for side entry and the ceiling is already plastered. I also thought side entry would be better to avoid any condensation dripping back. I know you can get condensation traps but the ceiling hole would have to be bigger to put it through (unless the roofer puts it in from the outside). Maybe that's not an issue if the vent cover will go over both, but then I'd also need overflow spout which would look a bit ugly.

Can you mark the hole, remove tiles and cut with a grinder?
The tiles aren't on yet and that's what I thought, but the roofer says it's easier to put it in the roof.

Sponsored Links
the roofer says it's easier to put it in the rooroof
piece of cake....
17158572601081655033510757872513.jpg

I'm doing one as I'm typing :giggle:

Thanks but I was hoping for something smaller that would blend in a bit more. It’s only a dormer and the black seal alone would be massively disproportionate to the tile size!

Interestingly, a tech department who make plastic tile vents advises against using them vertically because « it is likely that the discharge of warmer moisture laden air at the tile surface will result in water vapour passing through the gaps in the tiles above the ventilator where it is likely to condense on the tiles and other surfaces potentially causing premature decay of the construction behind the tiles, primarily the tile battens. »

Wouldn’t that happen on any pitch?

Is the dormer roof pitched and tiled?
It's a new pitched dormer roof but nothing is tiled yet (top or sides).

I found this locally which the roofer's colleague is happy with. It's Manthorpe GTV PT vent. If I'd had more time I'd probably have gone with Glidevale who will do a colour match, but they're fitting the tiles this week.
1716108942683.png

Thanks Noseall but is there a reason why is going through the roof better is better? All things being equal I prefer the aesthetics of a side tile vent to having a vertical tube coming out of the roof. Obviously if there are potential problems I’d think again

Thanks Noseall but is there a reason why is going through the roof better is better? All things being equal I prefer the aesthetics of a side tile vent to having a vertical tube coming out of the roof. Obviously if there are potential problems I’d think again
That Manthorpe jobby is a roof space vent and not a TVT (tile vent terminal), which has a bulky spigot on the back and usually a cowl on the top.

It does have a bulky oblong spigot adaptor which connects to extractor fan ducting. The description also says it’s suitable for mechanical ventilation but I checked with their technical support too. Some designs have cowls but not all. Am I missing something here?

Manthorpe product details

Adaptor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back