Extractor fan wired into shower cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is it safe to run a extractor fan and light off a 10mm shower cable?

It will also be powering the shower.

I'm thinking a separate light and fan that only works when the shower is turned on.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply.

I had a feeling that would be the answer but thought I would check.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I had a feeling that would be the answer but thought I would check.
You did right to check. Normally you would connect the extractor fan to the lighting circuit with a timed overrun, this would then mean when the light is turned on the fan starts and overruns when lights are switched off for period of up to 20 minutes. Unfortunately that would mean the light must be on to extract the condensation/moisture in the room when showering, Not always ideal, but there are humidistats that only function when humidity is high.

Sponsored Links
Shower circuits are dedicate to the shower only, nothing else should be connected to it.

I wouldn't necessarily have a problem if someone powered the light fitting and a fan from the shower though if it was all contained within the shower cubicle.

Dedicated does not mean separate.

If designed properly you may fit whatever you want to a circuit.

Is it safe to run a extractor fan and light off a 10mm shower cable?
Depends on how you do it. You will not be able to connect 10mm² conductors to the fan and light, and the problem with using smaller cable which does fit is that it will be too small to be protected against overload by the shower circuit breaker. You would have to show that the fan and light could not, by their nature, generate an overload, and you would have to do the calculations to show that the smaller cable was adequately protected against fault current by the shower breaker.

What you actually want is for the light and fan to come on when the shower is used, and there are a number of ways you can accomplish that.

• Use a contactor actuated by the shower isolator to switch the lighting circuit for the fan etc.
  • Use a contactor actuated by a switch on the lighting circuit to switch the supply to the shower.
  • Use flow switch in the water supply to the shower to switch the lighting circuit for the fan etc.

I like the flow switch idea, very reliable! Same a s a combo boiler.
The terminals issue can be easily solve with a terminal box/MF box or back feeding from the shower, but I wouldn't want to have any more connections than necessary in a shower circuit.
Overall I think the keep it separate advice is good unless you're really desperate!

I have seen a fcu fed off the load side of a shower switch supplying an extract fan. The wiring between the switch and fcu was 1.5mm. As ELF has said, as long as the circuit is designed properly.

DS

I have seen a fcu fed off the load side of a shower switch supplying an extract fan. The wiring between the switch and fcu was 1.5mm. As ELF has said, as long as the circuit is designed properly.

DS
Same at my parents in all the bathrooms. FCU was only 100mm away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back