Extractor fan wiring confusing me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've had a look at similar threads and a couple of YouTube videos but still stumped I'm afraid.

Need to replace the bathroom extractor fan (it works but it's incredibly noisy and clicks loudly), so I removed it and the wiring was connected in two places, in the two "groups" consisting of 2x red and 1x brown each as shown in the pic below (n.b.: I added the silver tape when removing the fan so I could differentiate the two groups). I've not seen this combo before.

These were connected into a block, which then met up with the black and the brown wires in the ceiling. There's also a grey one not connected to anything (neutral, I believe?) and Earth also not connected up (but we have an isolation switch on the wall specifically for the fan).

The new fan has terminals for L, S/L and N. I've tried it with brown in the L and black in the S/L and vice versa, and both with and without the grey into the neutral. Can't get a bean out of it. I even took it back to Screwfix and replaced it in case the unit was DoA, but same issue again.

If it's any help, the fan always comes on with the light and goes off as soon as the light is turned off.

Is this a "get a multimeter and/or sparky" situation, or can anyone think of anything stunningly obvious I've missed?

Many thanks in advance
Matt

1654005135704.jpg

Sponsored Links
You bought the wrong fan. That fan is 12volt and is powered from a transformer that has the over run timer. It will be hidden somewhere.
The 12v on the label is the giveaway!

Return the fan you have bought and buy a 12volt fan.

If you go to Screwfix, toolstation etc you’ll have to buy fan and transformer together.
Look up Manrose XF100LV. One of those might sort it.

Last edited:
Can you give the model of the old fan?
The 12V AC sticker may have something to do with it! ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks gents - I didn't even notice the 12v sticker to be honest! Didn't even occur to me as it's never come up when I've replaced fans in the past (just in my own houses I mean).

The old fan is Ventaxia - pic below for what I assume might be a box containing a transformer...? Didn't notice the "Extra low voltage" note on it either...

The new one is a Manrose 62530 - which yep says 220-240v on it. Oops.

So I just need to get that XF100LV and wire it as expected then good to go... thanks for your help - I learned something at least and will know for future!

1654021736835.jpg

Thanks Taylor. One more silly question if I may - will I not be able to use the existing transformer etc and just add the new fan? A transformer is stepping the voltage down right? But does it matter from unit to unit specifically?

Cheers

It will work fine. Assuming the old transformer is ok, of course.
The only way to know for certain is to get a multimeter and test for 12volt AC when the light is on.
Or pay a lot more and buy a pack with fan & transformer from the likes of screwyfix or toolstation.

Just bumping this to say thank you! After an afternoon of scratching my head as to why the new fan on mine won't work and after extensive googling, I couldn't work it out, until I came here. I went to check the old broken one and, yep, 12 volts. so, back to the shop tomorrow! Thanks all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back