Extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I solved my problem yesterday(see prvious posts) twas only a neutral wire had come loose.

I need a bit more help. as usual a simple job changing an extractor fan in en suite has turned into a major job. Problem is when I checked in the attic whilst fixing above problem I notice the wiring as follows lead from pull cord outside en suite to ceiling rose for light. Cable from rose to fan.No isolating switch. The wiring is only 3-4 years old as it is in an extension. I assume it need an double pole switch between the rose and the fan. Just need to check as if this is the case will get an electrician in if not will just connect the new fan up. Why has a switch not been put in in the 1st place ?

Cable to fan is one permanet live and one switched. Am isolating the permant live as new fan does not have a timer

Any help greatfull appreciated as I can then either finish the job or get a spark in

THANKS

Sponsored Links
Usually you would have a three pole isolator, one for each of the live, switched live and neutral.

Even though your only using two cores, i'd still install a 3 pole, so that all the wires at the fan are properly isolated when the switch is off.

Sponsored Links
Cable to fan is one permanet live and one switched. Am isolating the permant live as new fan does not have a timer

Me no understand:

Permanent live
Switched live
Neutral

that equals three conductors to be isolated.

apparently his new fan is without timer, and it will come on with the light, and go off with the light.

see his previous posts...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back