Extractor Fans (Bathroom) - New Build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I was hoping someone could give me some advise.

Recently moved into a new build and having lived here for the past few months I kept wondering where the constant cold air was coming from and then it dawned on me; the bloody extractor fans they put in.

There’s one in each bathroom (smaller ones in the photo) and then a larger one in the kitchen and utility.

I’ve noticed a back draft from these, the fan spinning in reverse essentially and a good stream of cold air, freezing in the current winds.

The ones on an external wall seem to get the most blow-back.

Then there’s the matter of them being quite noisy when turned on, but that’s a secondary problem.

So a question from me …

Are these simple enough to replace with something like this: https://www.toolstation.com/vent-axia-100mm-silent-extractor-fan/p33306

I’ve thought about baffles (think that’s what it’s called) https://www.vent-axia.com/range/wind-baffles but they can be quite unsightly and not sure how effective they are with a crappy fan.

IMG_4358.jpeg
IMG_4357.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Consider an external vent cover preferably one with flaps on it if there is nothing there already. They are cheap, easy to install and usually effective.

Sponsored Links
Go back to the builder/developer, If this is a new build there should have been a pressure test performed and certified, the fans they have fitted will mean the test failed or the certificate is forged.

Oh and fitting those Icom fans, expect to be comtantly stripping and cleaning them otherwise they jam.

Oh and fitting those Icom fans, expect to be comtantly stripping and cleaning them otherwise they jam.

Interesting observation.

I’ve fitted countless Icon fans and we have them in our home - never experienced this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back