Bathroom Extractor Fan Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have a Vent-Axia Solo SELV 12 extractor fan (http://www.vent-axia.com/domsel/overview.Asp) in my bathroom. Its connected to the light pull cord so switches on/off with the light.
However recently it hasn't been working, when i pull the light on no fan.
I was wondering if theres something obvious i should be checking for to try and fix it, fuse, etc?
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
thanks

whoareyou.

Sponsored Links
luminaire said:
Does it also have a fan isolating switch?

Yeah in the cupboard next door, i did unscrew that and have a look- but couldn't see anything obvious inside which could be wrong?

It could be a loose connection in the pullswitch, to the transformer or at the fan. You need to check all the connections.

Sponsored Links
does it have voltage present at the fan terminals? if it does it probably time to buy a replacement if it doesn't then trace where the wires come from until you find the break

these blimmin bathroom fans always have the tendency to give way. I had a call out a few weeks back where a customer required a replacement fan for one that wasn't working. Upon opening the face panel, I determined that the cause of fault was the amount of crap that had collected between the fan blades and generally inside the enclosure!!! After a thorough clean, with the supply off (rmbr!!), I managed to fix the problem and the fan was normal again.
If you are not as lucky as I was and are unable to locate any breaks in the circuit and the cleaning doesn't help, go get yourself a replacement!!
Bare in mind, a replacement will be harsh on the pockets!!
http://www.rbstaronline.co.uk/acatalog/Solo_SELV_12_.html

Thanks for the advice, it was only fitted about 8 months ago so hopefully it is just the rubbish in it, will give it ago!

If it was only fitted 8 months ago it should be covered by a warranty.

jj4091 said:
If it was only fitted 8 months ago it should be covered by a warranty.

ok cool, a electrician fitted it but gave us all the doc so will check, thanks

Big Thanks Dynamos just cleaned the non-working fan and it now works a treat. Fan blde is only a push fit onto the motor spigot, so gently pull and it will come off revealing motor windings which no doubt will be covered in crap.

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back