pir bathroom fan advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am having a new bathroom fitted and bought a Vent Axia ACM100T in line fan fitted in the ceiling space. I had originally planned to have a pull cord switch to operate it, but am now thinking a PIR would be better. Could someone please advise me as to how to have it done and what parts are needed, before my electrician arrives. He's due to come in a week and I had bought the fan and a pullcord. CAn anyone advise me on what I would now need to buy in order to change from pull cord operation to PIR. I am figuring I would need a controller and PIR, but it's beyond my knowledge and my electrician is on holiday next week. I have found this controller and PIR, also by Vent Axia and just want to know if these are all that's needed and how and where they are positioned (before the ceiling is finished and boarded up!)

http://www.vent-axia.com/product/t-series-controller.html

http://www.vent-axia.com/product/vent-axia-visionex-pir.html

I don't want the ceiling plastered and then the PIR or controller need connecting to the fan. If I could just have the walls laid then the ceiling could be finished and when my electrician turns up he would connect it all up in place of the pull cord wire that is currently hanging from the ceiling void. Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have had a look, but just want someone who knows (electrician) to let me know if the controller and PIR are the correct ones and if any thing different needs to be done in the ceiling void before it is boarded up. I could then get my electrician to wire those instead of a pull cord. I will have access to the fan but laying new wires would be tricky. He only wired the fan and left the pull cord wires hanging form the roof on the opposite side to the fan, with a block on the end. He will return from holiday and connect the pull cord as the ceiling will be boarded and plastered.

Yes you really should read those before going any further. i just had a quick look and it says:

A variable speed controller should NOT be used with the timer version.

So I am not sure why you have the T-series controller in your list ???

Sponsored Links
Understood. Just wanted to be sure the wires that are currently laid for a pull cord and be used for PIR. Ceiling is going up and being plastered on Monday and currently only a pull cord can be connected. Regardless of whatever parts are needed I just wanted to know if the existing pull cord wires were sufficient, or if any different wires needed to be connected? I assumed the PIR could just be fitted in place of the pull cord, but the ACM100T instructions did not make that clear. A bit technical for me!

http://www.vent-axia.com/files/pdf-downloads/409945 A.pdf

Is this pullcord going operate the light as well as the fan? Or is the PIR just going operate the fan (with a time over-run)?

Note that the fan has a time over-run feature, and so does the PIR, so there's going to be some interesting setting up needed.
Witha PIR it may have been better to not have a timer fan, but too late now, I guess?

Thanks for your interest and help. Unfortunately I had the idea I wanted an discussed it with the electrician beforehand. Then he did the wiring I wanted and set it up for the following:
A Vent Axia ACM100T timer fan.
Not operated by light, but by a pull cord only
I have a big window, it's a south facing and lets lots of light in, and my family rarely switches on the light except at night. I thought of pull cord because it seems less hassle than unnecessarily having the light on. Also, it can be switched on or off when family are showering during the day. Basically more flexibility and choice, without having a light on. I wanted a bit of a timer run on, as kids will switch it straight off after a shower, for the sake of not having to come back later to turn it off!
I've now decided it might be better to have a PIR instead of a pull cord, as some may forget to pull it and leave the bathroom steamed up. Lazy so and so's......

I have a big window, it's a south facing and lets lots of light in, and my family rarely switches on the light except at night.
As you have a big window and south facing room, you may not need to turn on the fan either.

True, but kids regularly taking showers, one after the other, and wet towels on radiators has left me fed up with steamed up bathrooms.

pir bathroom fan advice needed
ADVICE #1: Don't.

I am having a new bathroom fitted and bought a Vent Axia ACM100T in line fan fitted in the ceiling space. I had originally planned to have a pull cord switch to operate it, but am now thinking a PIR would be better.
ADVICE #2: Stop thinking that - you are grievously mistaken.

Could someone please advise me as to how to have it done
ADVICE #3: Don't have it done.

and what parts are needed, before my electrician arrives.
ADVICE #4: None.

CAn anyone advise me on what I would now need to buy in order to change from pull cord operation to PIR.
ADVICE #5: Nothing, because you really should not make that change.

I don't want the ceiling plastered and then the PIR or controller need connecting to the fan.
ADVICE #6: Don't have a PIR, then.

Unfortunately I had the idea I wanted an discussed it with the electrician beforehand. Then he did the wiring I wanted and set it up for the following:
A Vent Axia ACM100T timer fan.
Not operated by light, but by a pull cord only
You appear have the misfortune to have engaged an electrician with little or no powers of thought.

Also, it can be switched on or off when family are showering during the day.
So have the fan triggered by the use of the shower.

Seems blindingly obvious to me.

I wanted a bit of a timer run on, as kids will switch it straight off after a shower, for the sake of not having to come back later to turn it off!
I've now decided it might be better to have a PIR instead of a pull cord, as some may forget to pull it and leave the bathroom steamed up. Lazy so and so's......
So have the fan triggered by the use of the shower, then it can't be forgotten, and can't be turned off out of laziness.

I can be slightly more helpful.

Assuming he has followed the wiring in the fan instructions, you should have a 3-pole isolator switch and a 3 core and earth cable that goes from the isolator switch to the fan.*
Simply run this 3-core and earth to the switch/PIR position and then another 3-core and earth to the fan itself.
This will give you/the electrician the option of fitting a PIR and (later) replacing it with a pull cord when you get so fed up with the PIR.

* If he has already wired it as a simple fan on/off he may only have used 2 core& earth and that will not work for a PIR.

(later) replacing it with a pull cord when you get so fed up with the PIR.
Could always save time and money by skipping that stage and going straight to no-PIR.

But seriously...
I am having a new bathroom fitted
So now is the time to arrange for the fan to be triggered by the use of the shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back