Extractor fans fitted correctly or not..with photos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if someone could advise, we have a relatively new build 3 bed semi and it has these run of the mill extractor fans fitted where required.

As there have been a few problems, I'm not sure these have been done correctly, for one there is a lot of staining and cracking around the en suite one and when it's windy, it's like your standing outside.

Have a look at the photos in this link and see if any of the ducting etc looks untoward.

http://img691.imageshack.us/g/img2540r.jpg/

First image has traces of water around the joint.

You will also see there is something in the roof that has nothing connected to it would there be any reason for this.

Also the ducting doesnt seem a very snug and secure fit onto the extractors I can access from the loft, is this the norm.

Any advice and comments appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Get the builders back and tell them you want it completely redone.

If they argue use the NHBC people since as a new build it should be guaranteed.

It's a lash up, mixed materials, duct tape joins rather than couplers, poor run, prone to condensation gathering at bends, dips and joins.

See here for the sort of ducting that is more normal
- click on the ducting sections

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Ventilation_Index/index.html

If you are getting back drafts, back draft shutters or anti back draft in line shutters should be fitted.

So it's really as bad as I assumed.

Thanks for your help, have wrote a letter off as they don't want to know over phone and face to face.

Hearing more horror stories as time goes on, makes me wonder where else they have cut corners and been slap dash

there should be condensation traps fitted to prevent the build up of water in the flexi duct at the very least!!def get them back!

Sponsored Links
They came back and changed the white flexi stuff on the centre pipe, is it the soil pipe?

Where this runs down the inside of the house at the rear there is bad damp in the en suite, the idiots just painted over it, obviously it's came back with avangance.

However the extractors have not been touched.

There is cracking round the extractor too, the one in the main bathroom seems ok.

http://img12.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img3712z.jpg

There should be a backdraft prevented fitted above each of the fans.

The use of plastic pipe for long runs is better than the crinkled flexible ducting as it offers less resistance to air flow.

BUT using a T junction designed for water will not work well with air. There is a Y junction designed to combine two extractor ducts into one. The air flow through this is far better than through a T .

And the damp is due to there being no condensation trap to remove the water from steam condensing in the duct as it goes up to the roof through the cooler ( cold ) air in the loft.

The basic problem is that the house was built by people who didn't know what they were doing.

i personally would always fit condensate traps as standard to avoid the possibility dont want to have to be doing it as an afterthought when its to late.

The solution is to insulate the duct, then there will no condensation inside it.

True provided no cold air can get into the duct to chill the first lot of warm moist air and then after that the warm air can continue to displace all the cold air trying to get into the duct.

Condensate traps are a must when venting out of a roof. Insulated duct makes for a better job.

If its possible I try to use solid duct. If there is a gable wall close by I use a solid 90 bend above the fan and run the ducting on a slight decline outside the gable wall so any condensation runs outside. I also insulate the ducting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back