Extractor hood duct - to reduce or to elbow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Lots of helpful discussion in previous threads, but my question is now specific.

Background: I have just redone my kitchen. In an effort to do all the dirty work up front I drilled the core hole for the extractor hood pre-plastering. 120mm straight (slight angle down) through two skins of brick, was going to use a solid duct through it for all the good reasons.

Problem: Some alterations to range cooker positioning occurred - which meant my lovely straight hole is now 25mm to the left of where it needs to be and I don't have enough play in the chimney enclosure to get away with it.

The question: Given the assumption that I am not trying to core another hole and mess up the outside brickwork, should I:
A) Reduce to 100mm, remaining straight
B) Knock out / drill out on the internal skin allowing an offset in either rigid or flexible but staying at 120mm

I know I will take a performance and noise level hit with either, but which will have less effect. I did try to calculate it myself, but I was struggling.

Thanks in advance.

Brad

Sponsored Links
C

Put the hood 25mm out of line with the cooker.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chaps. Wonderfully conclusive!

I shall await a vote to sway. Anyone fancy pointing me at the maths to calculate the performance of A Vs B, albeit approximately?

Thanks

James

There is no performance hit, nor noise increase.

This is what, a metre of duct from fan to terminal? You are worrying about nothing.

D change to recirculating

Just kidding, I'd go for B enlarging the hole and sticking with 5 inch pipe. As pilsbury suggests the "semiFlexi" hose is not a bad idea

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back