Extremely unusual plot- garage in front garden permission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We live in a house in East Sussex that is in an area that was developed just after ww1. The area originally consisted of the very respectable efforts of novice builders to build themselves a home on plots of land that were a bit hotch potch. Ours has a drive running between two houses from the main road, that then opens up to our plot with our house and outbuilding on. The front garden is massive and cannot be seen from the road. It’s bordered by garden on all sides.

I want to build a garage in front of the building line. What’s your view? Do you know of any precedents in this type of situation? I’m loathed to bring in beauracrats who will be able to say no then stop any development. My thought is to build it then to say a garage has always been there ;). We are really set back from the road....

Parrot

Sponsored Links
Not when u have a tree and tall hedge surrounding it!
I’m really unsure to be honest whether in my particular ‘hood’ whether much apart from extreme eyesores and illegal houses, would be followed up. The area was kinda built by, and is still inhabited by self builders.

Sponsored Links
I’m very happy with a garage to work on an old car...

Still no planning sleuths picked up on this ;). Come on folks. Tell me I’m an idiot or praise my revolutionary stance at least!

Why settle for a mere garage? Set your sights higher.
Robert-Fidler-outs_3496032e.jpg

Not when u have a tree and tall hedge surrounding it!.

It’s not what’s surrounding it, it’s what’s covering it if you are thinking of using the 'it’s always been there' excuse. I suppose if you had a large evergreen tree that completely obscures the aerial view of the garage you propose to build from all angles, you might get away with it but who would build a garage under a tree? I understand local authorities catch a lot of people out with extensions and illegal outbuildings using aerial views.

I don’t think anybody has got anything other to add really have they? I just gotta take a punt, and see how I go....

There are 12 garage on different plots in my ROAD that are in front of the building line.... and they were built in different styles by different people in different years.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back