F&E tank overflowing-checked the obvious

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a vented central heating system with large water tank & smaller F&E tank in the attic.

The water level in the F&E tank rises until it dribbles out of the overflow pipe into the garden.

I have read the FAQ section & am working through the list.

I have changed the ballcock & replaced it with a fluidmaster one yesterday, but today, the water level has risen again overnight. The vent pipe does not seem to be dripping. I left a jug under it and not much water collected.

I turned off the stopcock to both the F&E tank/water tank & ran a bath & the level in the F&E tank actually rose slightly above the overflow pipe!

Does this indicate a cylinder coil leaking? Hot water cylinder was replaced about 5 years ago.

Or blocked pipework? a check with a magnet is mentioned. WHat is this?

ANy help gratefully received.

Dave

Sponsored Links
ok cheers for reply Dan. Not what I wanted to hear lol, I only got the cylinder changed a few years back.

Sponsored Links
You normally find the higher tank will fill with water

And the lower one will leak water out the over flow. If the coil has a hole in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back