F&E tank overflowing intermittently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have traditionalvented indirect heating system. F&E and large water tank in loft. All worked well until my watersofterner gave up the ghost. While fiddling around with it I shut down bypass valve by accident. Water in house ran out. Got that sorted again. But ever since the F&E tank is overflowing, ever so slightly, maybe two buckets a day. But odd thing is, early morning there is no dripping at all when I check first thing after getting out of bed. The other odd think since the shutdown (half a day or maybe longer, only noticed it when my wife screamed in panic 'there is no water!') is that sometimes there is quite a lot of noise/rumbling from the cold storage tank (guess it refills), just 3-5 minutes, then dead quiet. Had some plumbers tell me there is a fine crack in cylinder pipe but just want to avoid new hw cylinder when it could be something else and much simpler, airbubble for ex) . May also add that hot water is VERY HOT, one of the plumbers said that is a bit odd. Not sure if that is relevant but I mention it. have an old Potterton, 32 yrs, but always told DO NOT REPLACE, new ones are rubbish in comparison. Have tem setting 2.5
thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Have the boiler stat replaced, are there any controls on the cylinder? I am guessing its on gravity hot water pumped central heating.

Have you checked the cold water tank that feeds your cylinder? I have seen it where they connect the 2 overflows together.

Sponsored Links
''old Potterton, 32 yrs, but always told DO NOT REPLACE, new ones are rubbish in comparison.''
Tosh, old boiler like that is costing bundles extra every year due top poor efficiency.
Replaced mine along with extra insulation, gas bill has halved.

By-pass on pipes into water softener, so no water went into house at all for a while, until my wife screamed 'There is no water', then opended the by-pass, slowly water returned to all the taps, started opening them from highest one first, lots of bubbling, but they came on one after the other. But since then I have this f&e overflow, ever so slowly, maybe two-three buckets a day, also lots of gurgling noise from the pipe where it leads into the cold water tank, not all the time, but the moment I use water first time in morning, then on and off occasionally, never long, mayb 2-3 mins

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back