F&E vent pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can some one please confirm the minimum height of the vent pipe above the water level of an F&E cistern and any information to back this up with.
Having a little debate about this with colleagues.
PS I understood it to be 450mm!

Sponsored Links
I used to know that one a long time ago....as far as I remember it's 40 mm a metre of head height plus a couple of hundred mm. So it sounds about right for a two story house but not a three.

Is that not the calculation for the CWSC Vent Pipe rather than F&E.
(H X 0.4mm) + 150mm
Height of pipe from cylinder cold feed inlet to warning pipe multiplied by 0.4 per metre plus 150mm

Sponsored Links
It is 450mm min above water level when cold.
That is the highest point ie the bend.
Thanks for that onecof.
May I expand ? Not a pun by the way ;)

So cold water only, not allowing for any expansion of water in F&E cistern?
Is there anywhere you could point me to where this requirement can be clarified? A link or something within water regulations guide, cheers.

Is that not the calculation for the CWSC Vent Pipe rather than F&E.
(H X 0.4mm) + 150mm
Height of pipe from cylinder cold feed inlet to warning pipe multiplied by 0.4 per metre plus 150mm

Sorry, yes it is.
I think the 450 figure that's used for the vent on the f&e is a recommendation derived from that though. If it was a requirement you wouldn't have combined feed and vents.

Thanks for the input chaps.
It's something I have in my head from somewhere, not sure how or why. But was brought up in conversation last week, so I put my two penneth in to the mix but would like to know where and why this was/is required, so can back up my comments.
If memory serves me, something to do with pressure surges of the pump?

Digging the books out now. :eek:
Do you mean this taken from one of the Treloar books.

The cistern must be placed in such a location that it will not be affected by the position and head of the circulating pump. A minimum dimension of the maximum head developed by the pump divided by three needs to be maintained between the water level and the pump to prevent underwater movement in the f& e cistern.

I have seen somewhere that the specific measurement of minimum height is 450mm above water level of F&E cistern, but for the life in me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back