Facia board over timber, leave a gap or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with the facia boards on my porch, see photos. The timber is quite sound, it doesn't seem to be rotten, more a case of it de-laminating. Not sure how the water got in, but the delamination seems to be happening from the outside, that is the bit facing out. I think some water may have got in through cracked paintwork, then it couldn't get out because it was trapped behind the paint?

So I am thinking I will fix plastic facia boards over the top of the existing damaged (but not rotten) woodwork. There is plenty solid wood to take screws. My question is, would I be better to fix hard up against the timber (like my neighbour has done) which might trap water in the wood, or leave an airgap to let the timber dry out if it gets a bit wet somehow?

Attachments

• P1060570 small.jpg
    P1060570 small.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 36
  • P1060571 small.jpg
    P1060571 small.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 30
  • P1060572 small.jpg
    P1060572 small.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back