facia board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the bungalow i have just bought has a rotten facia board. i noticed that the last 3 feet of guttering is flapping away with the wood too rotten to re-attach the guttering.
do i tap out the facia board to find where the rotten wood ends, then cut it out with a tenon saw, replace the board then the guttering ????

Sponsored Links
Remove the gutter, remove all the rotten wood, make sure the truss ends are not rotted as well. if they are you will need to cut out the rot and and renew as required.
half bond your replacement fascias onto truss ends.
fix replacement fascias in place with screws or annular nails.
best to prime/paint new facing before rehanging gutter.

just a thought, would it not be more practical to renew the whole facing?

that would mean 60ft of facia being replaced ! i need to save money...
what do you mean by half bond to the trusses ?
i take it the trusses are what holds the roof up....?

cut the rotten fascia board to the nearest truss. the truss is part of your roof
which you also attach your fascia board to.

make sure the facing is attached to a truss at all points.........

understand about saving money, i was just being practical.... if one bit of the facing is rotten it may be the case the rest would be in need of replacement sooner rather than later.

Sponsored Links
Ahhhh i see where you are coming from - no strangely they treated 50ft of the facia boards, my guess is they run out of whatever they were treating it with and never got round to buying more.
We have been told that the bungalow was a self build project approx 21 years ago, and the poof fella died not long after completing it :cry:
Taught me a lesson never to buy a self build property - all sorts of probs have been found now we have bought it !!

Taught me a lesson never to buy a self build property - all sorts of probs have been found now we have bought it !!

yeah, cutting corners as the money runs out. :confused:

good luck with your gutters/facings :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back