Failed mains circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When my central heating suddenly failed during a recent freezing cold night, the fault was soon found - a loss of mains into a Siemens remote timer. No circuit RCDs tripped in the main distribution box. A local jobbing electrician did a temporary fix by running an extension to the timer along the floor from the mains in an adjacent room, so thankfully the heating works again.

He proposed returning to fit a new small distribution box inside that airing cupboard which houses the timer, hot water cylinder etc, by cutting into the power supply to the immersion heater, but I have my doubts. I'm not certain he's qualified to certify this new work, and anyway shouldn't he be concentrating on finding out where the mains wiring has become disconnected, broken or (most likely) chewed?

I could ask a trusted, fully qualified, previously-used installer instead, but I know they won't be available (even to inspect) for a few weeks, although that isn't a problem. What would you suggest I do? And what should I expect them to do?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Isn't this effectively a like for like swap so not likely to need certifying? Sounds like you don't have faith in him for whatever reason. It's not urgent as it's up and running so why not wait for for your trusted electrician?

In theroy we aim to supply all central heating from one overload device. In other words all on one circuit, there are exceptions, like when USB supplies are used, but it would not be normal to select some other circuit, and to do so could cause problems in the future.

To suggest otherwise rings alarm bells, but that does not mean it is wrong.

Manufactures often say should be supplied from same supply, but most homes only have one supply, so points to writer not knowing what the words mean.

Personally I would wait for warmer weather.

....."fit a new small distribution box inside that airing cupboard which houses the timer, hot water cylinder etc, by cutting into the power supply to the immersion heater", is DEFINITELY not the words or work of a professional electrician.
If you are up and running off an extension lead at the moment, I would leave as is and ask your friend if he can get round to you as soon as possible. Even if he rigs up a temporary solution for the time being, I would be happier that a professional had done it rather than someone who can't/doesn't know how, to find the true fault.
Is it his intention to fit a small consumer unit in the airing cupboard from the immersion supply and just leave the original fault alone?
Not professional at all.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back