Failing/flaking mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of months ago I repointed a sandstone wall with a lime/cement based mortar (mix 5:1:1 sand:cement:hydrated lime).
Since we've had a period of heavy rain and the wall has got damp/wet, I've noticed that some of the mortar has begun to 'flake' on the surface and drop away. It looks quite unsightly so is there anything I can do to stop it & why is it occuring?

Sponsored Links
was the wall very dry when pointed?

if so it is probably the suction in the sandstone drying out the mortar too rapidly.

you should wet the area to be pointed first, allowing it to dry slightly before pointing, but it should not be bone dry.

No, if anything it was damp in places since its a retaining wall.
Only reason I can think of was the hydrated lime had been sitting around for a while. It was still dry and powdery, not lumpy though.

Sponsored Links
I doubt its the lime specifically.

Two other possibilities are that the mortar was not uniformially mixed, or the joint was not sufficiently troweled/compacted to give it its important weathering finish

And two months ago may have had some overnight frosts or freezing temps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back