How to make Lime mortar.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I drasticly need to repoint an area of wall thats letting water in. It is a 1930's house and reading around it sounds as if I've got lime mortar.

What is the mix for this? Does lime mortar work well with the mortar 'guns' people are describing or is it best to use a trowel and brick jointer.

Also, is there any way of cleaning the bricks up, a wire brush made some other flake a bit.

I gather the final colour is rather dependant on the sand I use.
Here is a photo of the wall.
img1529cr4.jpg

Sponsored Links
Your best bet is to buy some ready mixed mortar.

Try googleing 'Lime mortars' theres a lot of suppliers now that stock it and get some knowledge of what you are letting yourself in for to do it right.

Get a pointing trowel and practice, practice and then practice some more

look for hydraulic lime you just mix this with sand its the modern equivelent.
get a few samples of sand mix up a couple of small batches and match it to your mortar in the wall

Sponsored Links
I agree with the brickie. You could mix yourself but unless you know exactly what you are doing the finish can be prone to dusting and debonding. I would order ready mixed from Mike Wye, or similar. Give them, a call and tell them what it's for and they will make sure you get the most appropriate stuff.

www.mikewye.co.uk

Hi, if you are not used to lime mortars then a premixed bag would probably be best. You can get them ordered with the correct sands and ratios and to the colour that you want. These can be either trowel or gun applied, depends on your skills. The guns aren't too bad, depends on your preference really. Lime is not like cement, you will need to look after it in the few days that follow application...have a look here for more information:

http://www.squidoo.com/hydraulic-lime-and-basic-properties-what-to-use-and-why

Cleaning brickwork can be an easy task with the correct product, again have a look here:

http://stoneconservation.net/supplies/cleaning-products-mixed-products-c-4_44.html

I work with lime mortars on site on a daily basis and see some really good diy efforts and some really bad ones! If you follow the advice and get the right products you can't go far wrong though. Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back