Failing halogen downlighters

Seems like the lamp heat has damaged the holders , you may need to get new holders fitted or maybe new fittings.

Sometimes it is not best to use 50 watt lamps if fittings are constantly on.

you can also get lamps that prevent heat going back into the fitting, but it sounds like the damage has been done
:rolleyes:

Ok so I thought one MR16 bulb was pretty much like another. I did say go easy on me. How was I to know I got the wrong type? That's carp design to my mind, that you can get an (apparently) compatible bulb that will ruin your fitting :mad:

Sponsored Links
Final question before I get flamed again... so I don't cock-up on purchase of the right bulbs, is "coolfit" some kind of standard for these bulbs and I must avoid like the plague any bulbs that don't mention it? For instance I found these

http://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/l-v-mr16-12v-35w-50mm-36-wfl-aluminium-p-8260.html

that say "Heat Forward Lamp for Safe Installation in all New Fire Rated Fittings" so I assume these should be OK?

I looked back at B&Q's website and nowhere does it say that their bulbs are unsuitable for these fittings which I find unbelievable.

Look through the site for more info on fireproof downlights and how they work

If you can shine light in the fitting and still see through then they still may be ok, with the new holder and correct lamp fitted
It also proberly has a sticker in it advising the type of lamp.

You will still need to remove them to buy and FIT the holders
Which if your not in the trade you may have trouble getting.

"Heat Forward Lamp for Fire Rated Fittings
Anything that says similar should be ok, usually aluminium may also be mentioned

BUT not COOL BEAM
It is down to you to choose one that says it IS suitable rather than them tell you.

Sponsored Links
rocky, are you always this obnoxious? I thought this was a friendly site. This chap's made a genuine mistake and you're shouting at him. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back