Failing kitchen fluorescents - T8 or T4?

Kes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The main lighting in my kitchen is 2 x 30w and 2 x 18w fluorescents mounted on the top rear of the wall cabinets, with the light bouncing off the ceiling. I am perfectly happy with this.

The fittings are Eterna electronic ballast T8's. I bought these because they were the only make available from either *&* or the local wholesalers. They are a nice design and I would be happy with them except that around one a year fails. As there's not much else to fail I assume it's the rather cheap and nasty ballast that goes.

It's all very well having efficient lighting but it's not so efficient if I have to replace a fitting a year.

I also have four Eterna T4 cabinet lights under the cabs. They as just as old and none have failed. I don't know what the ballast is on these but it appears to be more reliable. Would there be any disadvantage (from the point of light oupout) if I replaced the failed T8's with T4's? I know the fittings are about 50% longer but I can accomodate that. Also is there any reason why the T4 fittings have lasted longer than the T8's, or is it just luck?

Sponsored Links
Most T4 fittings come with 827 tubes - very warm white. You might not like these, it depends what colour tubes you have now. For reflected light you might want something cooler.

Eterna are a budget brand AFAIK. Try something from Philips or another good brand. The last I saw at B&Q, they were only selling switch-starts anyway. Bought a couple for the shed, they hum like crazy.

T5 are more common than T4s, and your more likely to find a branded T5 fitting than a branded T4. Most T4s are link lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back