Fair price for removing plaster from kitchen ceiling and drywalling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys

After having multiple kids growing up and falling asleep with bath running, and a couple of leaks in years gone by- our kitchen ceiling has been repaired (by me) a couple of times. It is looking like it needs painting and i think rather than DIY it, this time i would like the battered old plaster removed and plasterboard put up in the kitchen. The kitchen is 15 square metres. I will paint it myself once done.

I have had 1 quote so far, £950 to board and skim, is that really the going rate? i put the job on checkatrade and not had much response yet.

I had the entire downstairs toilet plastered and skimmed for £550 a year or two ago so i am a bit shocked.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Seems steep. My plasterer chargers around £600 for a small room (3x3m), over-boarding ceiling and skimming all, walls included.

Seems steep. My plasterer chargers around £600 for a small room (3x3m), over-boarding ceiling and skimming all, walls included.
Cheers, ill give local tradesman a call after work since not many on checkatrade seem interested!

I guess wanting the old plaster removing (it is so old i dont trust it for over-boarding) is pushing the price up, but i thought a ceiling was a day or maybe a day and a half work for a plasterer.

Overboarding would be cheaper, and less messy too. Unless the ceilings are very low, overboard. You get more sound insulation too.

Sponsored Links
Overboarding would be cheaper, and less messy too. Unless the ceilings are very low, overboard. You get more sound insulation too.

If the existing plaster is unsound, will it cause issues or wont it matter because it is screwed into the joists?

Hey guys

After having multiple kids growing up and falling asleep with bath running, and a couple of leaks in years gone by- our kitchen ceiling has been repaired (by me) a couple of times. It is looking like it needs painting and i think rather than DIY it, this time i would like the battered old plaster removed and plasterboard put up in the kitchen. The kitchen is 15 square metres. I will paint it myself once done.

I have had 1 quote so far,
Cheers
Where in the country are you ?

Is the old ceiling lath and plaster or plasterboard?

Do you have covings?

How much space is there above the wall units?

Photos will help others to give you a better indication of price (I am not a plasterer).

Whatever the other factors the best way of doing this is as already proposed - overboarding. By a mile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back