Fairy Lights (or similar) Lights & Lighting Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Is it possible to wire a chain of fairy lights, or a similar light 'chain', to an existing junction box on a lighting circuit (containing the cables for power, switch and existing light fitting)?
If this depends on the type of light chain, can you please give any advice regarding what sort to go for? (not bought yet!)
Basically I want this small light chain to go on & off with the main light when the switch is operated.
Thanks very much for your time.

Sponsored Links
It shouldn't be a problem but bear in mind most lights need a plug in adaptor so you will need to wire the supply as a socket. This will need labelling or putting in a position where it won't get used as a general outlet otherwise the overload protection for the circuit may operate.
I would also go for an ELV (extra low voltage) set otherwise you will be looking at 30mA RCD protection for external. (Most, I think, are ELV)

Thanks for the reply ricicle.
When you say "you will need to wire the supply as a socket", do you mean to use 1mm t&e from the junction box to the transformer (ie wire the transformer to this cable), or wire a normal (labelled) square pin socket to this cable, and plug in the light set as you would normally?
As you may be able to tell I'm not a professional electrician!
Thanks

Thanks for the reply ricicle.
When you say "you will need to wire the supply as a socket", do you mean to use 1mm t&e from the junction box to the transformer (ie wire the transformer to this cable), or wire a normal (labelled) square pin socket to this cable, and plug in the light set as you would normally?
As you may be able to tell I'm not a professional electrician!
Thanks

it depends what kind of transformer the lights you buy have, if they have one of the large, plug in transformers, you will need to use the socket method, if they have an inline one you can wire to the JB, you can do it that way

Sponsored Links
Again, thanks for this reply....
.....could you please tell me if both set ups would be ok regarding the regs?

......hello - IS ANYBODY THERE??!!

As a follow up to the question about whether a socket would comply with the regs (I've got a feeling it wouldn't), how about if I was to fit a 5a round pin socket with the appropriate plug on the lights? Would this be a goer and would it comply?

Thanks in anticipation for any replies :oops:

I feel there saying the socket would be for the wallwart plug in transformer so would need to be 13 amp pattern, unless you make an adapter lead

....sorry Rocky, I don't follow what you mean - could I ask you to treat me like a 12 year old in any explanation?
Many thanks! ;)

he means the kind of transformer you plug directly into the socket

R0458890-01.jpg

Rather than a standard plug into the wall, then a transformer built into the cabling

If you have the former, you would need to use a standard socket as obviously the transformer wouldnt fit into a round 5a socket (square peg, round hole)

You could make an adapter with a 13a trailing socket to a 5a round plug to overcome this though (not ideal)

.....ah right - thanks.

I understand, tho, that putting a normal square pin socket in a lighting circuit wouldn't be allowed in the current regs - is this right?

So how about the 5a round pin idea - simply wiring this (rp) socket from the junction box then fitting the round pin plug onto the lights? I understand that this would work but would it be allowed?

You are wrong if you have heard that you can't use a normal square-pin socket on a lighting circuit. There's absolutely nothing in the regs which says you can't use one, but its best practice to label it up to ensure you don't overload the circuit with a kettl, toaster etc.

If it's a normal 230V string mwant for indoor use only then you can wire it straight to the junction box.

Thanks mfarrow - very interesting.
Wiring to the junction box is my last option as it'll be inaccessible when the ceiling's up, so I think I'll go for the round pin option - at least nothing else can be plugged in to overload it.

.....regarding the last post, I've just been told by an electrician 'no sockets or plugs on a lighting circuit'.
I can't quote whereabouts in the regs it says this but I obviously don't want to contravene; not quite sure where to go with this now.

Is there anyone out there who could offer another opinion as to whether they are, or aren't, allowed?
(don't mean to be disrespectful at all mfarrow - just want to be sure!)
Thanks

They are allowed. As said already, The socket must be clearly marked up as 5 amp maximum. There is nothing in the regs which says you cannot fit a standard 13 amp socket outlet to a 5/6 amp lighting circuit.

The electrician who told you its not allowed doesnt know the regs in as much detail as he thinks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back