False (Tray) Ceiling Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I get the keys to my new home in 2 weeks time :giggle:. I have that week off work so will use it to do a tray ceiling project. I am doing as much pre-planning as I can so I can get stuck in straight away.

I plan to build a timber frame around the periphery of the room - see below (50cm wide, 15cm high, 15cm overhang)
1708854413876.png

This is a just a possible scenario at the moment, as I have limited access to the property until I get the keys. My question is on fixing the ceiling frame. The one arrowed in green below would be OK as there are ceiling joists (blue) to fix to, however the one with red arrow has no ceiling joist above. How would I go about tackling this? (assuming that I have no access above)

1708854564715.png

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You need to find out where the ceiling joists are.

There is probably one right next to the wall - has to be something for the plasterboard to fix to.

If say you’ve got one joist next to the wall and one say 400mm away, then cut some lengths of 95 x 45 studwork timber to 500mm, then screw them up, one end tight against the wall. You’ve got 2 ceiling joists to screw them to so they will be nice and strong even though the end cantilevers over a bit.

It all depends where the joists run.

Be careful, the ceiling void may well contain electrics and pipes - although probably near the floorboards above not down by plasterboard.

There is probably one right next to the wall - has to be something for the plasterboard to fix to.

If say you’ve got one joist next to the wall and one say 400mm away, then cut some lengths of 95 x 45 studwork timber to 500mm, then screw them up, one end tight against the wall. You’ve got 2 ceiling joists to screw them to so they will be nice and strong even though the end cantilevers over a bit.

Be careful, the ceiling void may well contain electrics and pipes - although probably near the floorboards above not down by plasterboard.
The OP has drawn lines in blue to indicate the position of the ceiling joists. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links

Hi Notch, Many thanks for the feedback.
Sorry I wasn't clear on my original post - the ceiling frame which I will fit is only 300mm from the wall - see green below. (The overall width is 500mm which includes 150mm shelf overhang - see 2nd image). This would not work with your suggestion as the frame will then be visible. Any thoughts on this?
1708868470880-png.334353

1708869399968.png

This is my fear, any advice on how I can locate these without lifting floorboards? I have a stud finder with electrical detector. What kind of screw would you suggest for a 50mm x 50mm timber.

Finally, to Odds point, yes these are just the general direction of the joists, not necessarily the actual positions and quantities.

Thanks again

Attachments

• 1708868470880.png
    1708868470880.png
    63 KB · Views: 66
Sorry I wasn't clear on my original post - the ceiling frame which I will fit is only 300mm from the wall - see green below. (The overall width is 500mm which includes 150mm shelf overhang - see 2nd image
Ah ok, so it’s 350mm only

So you still need to know your joist distances from the wall

You will need some timber to fix to, so your only option is to chop a square out of the plasterboard keeping it less than 350mm, then put in a noggin and screw it to both joists. You might need 3 or 4 noggins.

Ah ok, so it’s 350mm only

So you still need to know your joist distances from the wall

You will need some timber to fix to, so your only option is to chop a square out of the plasterboard keeping it less than 350mm, then put in a noggin and screw it to both joists. You might need 3 or 4 noggins.
Thanks for the advise, looks like I'll have to wait and see to confirm the joist positions

Another question I had was whether I was getting carried away with the number of noggin (see green below)? They are all min 400mm from the centres, some less due to clearance to required for downlights. There are circa 40 noggins in total which is adding significant mass. Am I overdoing it?
1708894331230.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back