Fan assisted storage heaters - any use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does any one have any experience of modern fan assisted storage heaters? I am usually out all day, so would they still retain a decent amount of heat at 7pm?

I am considering buying a flat in a building with no gas, so was wondering if fan assisted storage heaters would be OK or if I might be better getting rid of the economy 7 and using a couple of panel heaters instead. I only need heat for about 3 hours in the evening during winter and don't usually heat above 17C.

Sponsored Links
They certainly work, although are normally used for commercial installs, as the fans do make some noise.

Properly sized and operated storage heaters should still have plenty of heat left at 7pm even without a fan - in your case the output control would be set to minimum until you get home in the evening.
Like all heating, it is far better if the building is properly insulated.

Panel heaters will cost far more to run. Don't buy them.

OK, good to know the fan assisted storage heaters work.

I mentioned the panel heaters as an alternative because typically I would only heat the livingroom for 3 hours in the evening, so for 2 x 2kw heaters that would be approx 12 units of normal rate electricity per day. For storage heaters, assuming two large heaters (3.5kw) and a full charge, that would be 7 x 7kw = 49 units of cheap rate electricity per day which works out to be more expensive plus the peak rate electricity will be dearer.

OK so the storage heaters may not need a full charge all the time, but you would be using them every day where as the panel heaters being more controllable would only be on when required.

So could I be right that panel heaters might actually be cheaper to run if usually only heating one room?

Don't forget other effects. To heat for a short time may lead to problems such as condensation and mould growth because everything gets done in a short time creating lots of moisture laden air, the walls never get warm and the result can be very expensive.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget other effects. To heat for a short time may lead to problems such as condensation
An often over looked and frequently under estimated condition.

Either install de-humidifiers or a heat recovery ventilation system.

A heat recovery ventilation system may seem expensive to install but as it is likely to reduce or prevent condensation damage and thus avoid repair costs then it is money well invested.

In my current property which has GCH, I only have it on for 3 hours or so in the evening with thermostat set to 17C and I don't suffer from any condensation problems. It seems wasteful to heat the house when no one is in, though agreed it might be a good idea for properties which have a condensation problem.

So could I be right that panel heaters might actually be cheaper to run if usually only heating one room?
Probably not, as if only heating a single room, the heating requirement will be far greater due to substantially increased heat loss into the surrounding cold rooms.

One way around this is to have substantial insulation in the interior walls/floor/ceiling of that one room, however if going down that road, why not just live in a caravan in the garden?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back