Fan installation problem - who provides the guarantee

Dare I suggest that Thomas have quick look at the fan (H&S alert - Switch off power and use suitable steps) to see if it is the impeller touching the side because it may have become loose or is crooked or if it is the motor itself clicking or-
employ someone else to have a look.

I know it should be put right but it is hardly worth a protracted law suit.

If I had fitted it I would want to go and have a look to put it right so if the fitter refuses don't use them again.
Withhold payment until the cause is determined and adjust accordingly.

It may be nobody's actual fault.

Sponsored Links
I worked for an auto electrical workshop at one point 1980's and for an alternator fitted we charged £25 and £10 labour but sold over the counter we charged £18 for the alternator the difference allowed us to replace an alternator FOC should it fail within warranty period.

People always wanted it cheaper and the store-man would write two invoices one for supply and one for fitting saving the customer £7 but if it went wrong then they would have to pay for swapping even if the alternator was supplied by us.

This is not unusual and the store-man in question would often do this without telling the customer what he was doing and caused many of an argument.

It's all well and good quoting the law but until the paperwork is read one can make mistakes. If it says supply and fit then yes they will have to change but if it says supply and then further down as a separate item fit then it would be a solicitor job.

We would supply a wagon firm with alternators and starter motors and normally they would fit. But on the odd time they would ask us to fit. Once it had been in their stores there was no way we would foot the bill for labour often it was a request to wait for wagon and replace when it came in ready for morning and we charged by the hour.

One has to carefully read the contract it is not as simple as contractor must pay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back