extractor fan problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced an old extractor fan with a new one. The wiring looks very simple-however when I put the light on the fan does not work when I turn it off the fan comes on !! what have I done wrong -there are only two wires I have even switched them over gut problem still remains Help

Sponsored Links
Did you ever witness the old fan working? What I mean is, if you didnt ever see the fan working before, the circuit may be wired wrong elsewhere.

The old fan was working until a few weeks ago. It was about 10 years old and just stopped, I thought It was time for a new one!

Did you ever witness the old fan working? What I mean is, if you didnt ever see the fan working before, the circuit may be wired wrong elsewhere.

What wires come from the wall?
What terminals does the fan have?
Does the fan have timed overrun?

Sponsored Links
From wall:
Black = neutral
Red = live
The above holds true unless one of the wires has a different coloured sheathing around it, in which case it is probably a live spur.

Earth - there is probably a terminal clamp on the casing somewhere, if not, slide some earth sleeving on to the central earth wire and bend the wire back on itself.

It sounds like the wiring error may be elsewhere, probably at the ceiling rose for the light fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back