Extractor fan poorly installed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
guys,

After complaining that the job was incomplete, I received this email from the contractor…

1. The dirt on the wall is left by your previous extractor fan and it is the work of the painter to paint the wall.

2. Your previous extractor fan is an old model which we couldn't find in the market and that is why we have to install this one.

3. Electrician tried to push the extractor fan inside the wall but the hole is not big enough and we will have to use the hammer which will make a mess on your wall and more work will have to be done which is plaster and repainting.

4. We have fixed these extractor fans in many houses and it is just an inch outside the wall but if you see the pictures taken by our electrician there is no issue in it

Is there anything reasonable in the response or am I correct in refusing to pay until the job is done to my satisfaction? To add the electrician had previously visited the site to ascertain the correct parts.

thanks,

Steve.

upload_2021-9-27_11-16-39.jpeg

upload_2021-9-27_11-15-15.png

Sponsored Links
It would depend upon what the scope of work that was originally agreed with the "contractor" was. If you just asked an electrician wire up a fan, that is what you got.

I know of customers that might just ask for the work that they don't feel comfortable with to be done (i.e. the wiring) and they will do the rest of the installation and re-decorating themselves.

What does the quotation say?

The quote was via email “Our price will be £150 for extractor fan buying and labour. Need your approval before we go ahead.”

The job as discussed on the phone was to replace the faulty extractor fan. My tenet has dealt with the face to face.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Editted to remove incorrect/confusing information.

S

Last edited:
The quote was via email “Our price will be £150 for extractor fan buying and labour. Need your approval before we go ahead.”

The job as discussed on the phone was to replace the faulty extractor fan. My tenet has dealt with the face to face.
In that case you are quite justified with your complaint.

If those are the same as this:
3a200f8e-9b4e-4089-b0d9-61025acdf74d-jpeg.245126

Then I'd say it's a completely inappropriate replacement unit. I'd have ibeen looking for an in-line fan, and not a wall fan. Certainly didn't need the additional cost of a chrome finish.
That pic was someone in london using a different user name

As a diy'er I wouldn't do a job as sloppy as that!
Refuse to pay until it is fitted correctly, which basically means both sides of the fan should be fitted flush against the wall surfaces with a sealed connecting tube, (ducting), between them. If it's not in the contract then they don't have to make good the decor but they certainly should make good any damaged plasterwork.

It may be the Fan they have fitted has a long Spigot at the back ,& as a result it doesn’t fit flush , others don’t do get the Co to replace it with another Brand with a small spigot / rear section

Phil

Do NOT pay them a penny.

In this situation, the simplest solution is to fit a piece of wood or plastic between the wall and the fan.

When they discovered the fan would not go back to the wall, they should have arranged with you or themselves to fabricate something to go between the wall and fan.

They clearly did not do this.

So, it was a complete waste of time fitting the fan, because it now needs to be removed to fit the wood/plastic.

And then the fan will need fitting again.

So NO. Do NOT pay them because it shouldn't have been fitted until the wood/plastic was fitted.

Anyone who leaves a fan like that without the agreement of the customer is a chancer.

Do NOT pay them a penny.

In this situation, the simplest solution is to fit a piece of wood or plastic between the wall and the fan.

When they discovered the fan would not go back to the wall, they should have arranged with you or themselves to fabricate something to go between the wall and fan.

They clearly did not do this.

So, it was a complete waste of time fitting the fan, because it now needs to be removed to fit the wood/plastic.

And then the fan will need fitting again.

So NO. Do NOT pay them because it shouldn't have been fitted until the wood/plastic was fitted.
Anyone who leaves a fan like that without the agreement of the customer is a chancerNOT A PROFESSIONAL OR CRAFTESMAN.

Just for the record, here's one I repaired earlier:
upload_2021-9-27_21-52-30.png
This is ground floor in 3 story block of flats
Full height in the Vertical box on the left are:
160mm soil stack,
2x ¾" cold feeds,
4x (maybe more) SWA,
110mm extract duct shown in red only down as far as shown.

So extremely conjested The original expelair fan was a big box unit surface mounted, Expelair Via the freholders managing agent recommended the fan shown as the nearest replacement, being on a communal duct, (upper floors also feed kitchen and bathroom into the duct) the fan has to include one way shutters, to prevent the other fans backflow, so quite deep.

When I first fitted it was proud of the white box and took probably 2 hours total to reconfigure duct to sit flush, patch plaster board, fill & paint.

That's the way to do a reasonable job.
upload_2021-9-27_22-7-0.jpeg

Looking at OP again I see the front isn't even fitted to the rear part correctly:
upload_2021-9-27_22-15-55.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-9-27_21-47-38.png
    upload_2021-9-27_21-47-38.png
    121.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back