fan problem Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a ravenheat condensing boiler.
it is just over 12 months old. It keeps cutting out and wont start by timer or thermostat sometimes.
The only way to get it started is to bang it, so the fan starts again.
I have had the fan assembly out thinking it needed cleaning. But it turns freely, in fact it turns even if i blow on it.

can anyone tell me what they think the fault is.
I know it is fan related, but do I need a new motor/fan, or could it be electrical somewhere else.

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
I know it is fan related
You think you know, but some of us know better. It could be lots of things. Best not to meddle with the gas combustion side of the boiler unless you really know what you're doing - it's more complicated than it looks.

chrishutt said:
I know it is fan related
You think you know, but some of us know better. It could be lots of things. Best not to meddle with the gas combustion side of the boiler unless you really know what you're doing - it's more complicated than it looks.

I wont be touching the gas side.

the boiler was fitted by a qualified partnership. One of them was corgi registered and the other was a qualified plumber, which meant they could cover most jobs between them.
2 days before christmas the boiler went off and I insisted that they came out and looked at it.
unfortunately the partnership has disolved and only the plumber came out.

He told me he could not fix it as it was his ex partner who was corgi registered, but told me he had a good idea what the issue was. He took the front of the boiler off and then gently tapped the fan assembly with the end of a srewdriver, and sure it enough it fired up.
The front of the boiler was put back on, and we have been hitting it ever since.

If it is gas related, I wont touch it, but it does appear fan related.

Just want some advice.

flanok said:
chrishutt said:
I know it is fan related

the boiler was fitted by a qualified partnership. One of them was corgi registered and the other was a qualified plumber, which meant they could cover most jobs between them.
2 days before christmas the boiler went off and I insisted that they came out and looked at it.
unfortunately the partnership has disolved and only the plumber came out.

He told me he could not fix it as it was his ex partner who was corgi registered, but told me he had a good idea what the issue was. He took the front of the boiler off and then gently tapped the fan assembly with the end of a srewdriver, and sure it enough it fired up.
The front of the boiler was put back on, and we have been hitting it ever since.

If it is gas related, I wont touch it, but it does appear fan related.

Just want some advice.

its not a gas related problem as nothing to do with the gas side do you have a multi meter

Sponsored Links
You are touching the gas combustion side. This is potentially dangerous (e.g. carbon monoxide) and I and most others on this forum (except B.O.B Dimwit, who doesn't know any better) will not encourage you to meddle with the fan controls unless you clearly know what you're doing, which I'm afraid you appear not to.

B.O.B DOLE said:
flanok said:
yes i do

Mark

is there any display codes on the front panel

What do you mean by display codes?
Do you mean LED's
if so One with a flame and one when the boiler cuts out. It looks like a circle with a line in the middle of the circle.

flanok said:
B.O.B DOLE said:
flanok said:
yes i do

Mark

is there any display codes on the front panel

What do you mean by display codes?
Do you mean LED's
if so One with a flame and one when the boiler cuts out. It looks like a circle with a line in the middle of the circle.

what model of boiler is it

Ravenheat Boiler CSI, Primary A Condensing.

no 47 581 - 05 csi

Mark

Old saying comes to mind with this one,,,, "A little knowlege is dangerous" :eek:

flanok said:
Ravenheat Boiler CSI, Primary A Condensing.

no 47 581 - 05 csi

Mark

just checked it out and sounds like the motor is sticking in the fan and if it needs a new one like chris says it would need to be replaced by a corgi engineer

One last question

I have had the fan out already, but ot turns very easy.
even by blowing on it, it turns for a long time.
is it possible that the motor can be sticking and the fan turn so easily?

Any idea how much a fan would cost an engineer? So the corgi engineer does noy quote silly prices?

Mark

Any idea how much a fan would cost an engineer? So the corgi engineer does noy quote silly prices?
Flanok wants to buy one and fit it himself. He could do what we all do and look in the manual for the part number and then check suppliers on the net.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back