please help - baxi solo 2 40 pf - fan? UPDATE - STRANGE!!

Guys, appreciate the advice and that you're saying the right thing.

I've replaced this fan before, and got a corgi chap round to check everything over.

Unfortunately, my financial situation doesn't allow me to call an engineer round to diagnose and replace - I'm not even sure how to pay for the fan at the moment, and may have to take out a small loan - obviously I dont want to, but I need hot water.

Would really appreciate your advice on this - I would get a corgi (gas safe) guy round, but I'm in a desperate situation so don't have a choice!
Please help?

You do have a choice, TURN THE BOILER OFF!!! and wait until you have funds to pay a RGI, as mistakes can be life threatening.

Phone around for a price. They are quite reasonable.

Andy

I realise that you're all doing the right thing by saying I should get an RGI, but you don't seem to understand - I'm in about 25k of debt as my partner's been unemployed for about 3 years and can't get a job.

To pay my bills each month I have to juggle credit cards and I earn less than I have to pay EVERY month.

It's because of this situation that I can't get an RGI, and it's not really practical to live without hot water for the next few months, or longer.

I'm only asking for advice!

Sponsored Links
If you said exactly where you are then there is always a possibility that an RGI might be prepared to visit on a pro bono basis.

Tony

I'm in Orpington, Kent, near Bromley.

Is there such a person as a pro bono RGI?

In today's world, nothing seems to come for free.

Thanks

In today's world, nothing seems to come for free.

That includes fuel for the van, insurance, van insurance, boiler spares (prices gone through the roof- maybe chinese will start copying these and save us a few bucks) and SWMBO asking for additional funds. Sorry forgot- the tax man, vatman, NI (backdoor tax) and road fund tax, van service and new tyres etc.

No wonder you can not get your boiler fixed.

Sponsored Links
Thats too far for me and probably better described as Kent rather than London.

Since 65% of solicitors had done pro bono work in the last year according to the recent Law Soc Gazette then I would not be surprised if some boiler engineers have done so as well.

Lets see if anyone wants to help you.

Tony

Thats too far for me and probably better described as Kent rather than London.

Since 65% of solicitors had done pro bono work in the last year according to the recent Law Soc Gazette then I would not be surprised if some boiler engineers have done so as well.

Lets see if anyone wants to help you.

Tony

Thanks Agile - the legal profession are known for doing pro bono work, but in all honesty I've never heard of a boiler engineer doing such a thing. Maybe I'll be proven wrong. It'd certainly restore my faith in humanity!

I've now fitted my new fan and the boiler is working again. WHEN I have some pennies, I'll get an RGI to come and inspect.

To those who have tired to help - a big thank you.

To those who have made inane, unhelpful, patronising comments - what is the matter with you? Funny how brave people can be from the safety of behind a computer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back