FAO Big-All question about fitted wardrobe ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Big-All,

I noticed in a thread that you posted ..here is the link
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v296/coggy/Fitted wardrobes/?action=view&current=DSC00081.jpg

This is some think i was planning on doing ,never done it before but wanna try lol..

I have an alcove in my bedroom and it is just under 8ft high by 11ft long

was thinking of building a frame and adding the doors like in the link you posted ..Was gonna use 18mm mdf for the doors ,,would this be ok as i want it from ceiling to floor ..Also what size wood for the frame and doors to attach to.Any help appreciated ..Not great when it comes to joinery but want to have a go myself so any tips would be great .

Thanks in advance..

Sponsored Links
18mm MDF is extremely heavy and will need a meaty frame to carry the weight. I would suggest the veneered chipboard (contiboard) from DIY sheds. You can get hinges which rap around the back of the board for strength. If you can get real wood veneer you can varnish or paint it but melamine veneer is more common and available is various wood effects. When you cut this board score the cut line with a sharp stanley blade and cut outside the line, this will then leave a clean cut. The boards are normally available 8ft long and 6",9",12",18" and 24" widths. so you may not need to cut lengthwise, but if you do cut the hinge side and it will not show.

Good luck!

Hi Won't the veneered chipboard be just as heavy ? Not sure which would be the best now (just wanna keep cost down lol) .

Just liked the idea of the pics in the link as i can use all my space across the back wall but would have to put up batons down the wall and across the ceiling..Any one with suggestions welcomed :LOL:

The contiboard is lighter weight than MDF (not as dense). I would suggest that you go to your local DIY shed and check prices, you can also check the weight by lifting each identical size board then decide which to use.

Sponsored Links
Been thinking ,my walls measure 10ft by 4" long and from ceiling to floor is 7ft by 7" ...

Would i be able to use 12mm mdf for the doors or are these to thin ..i have seen some mdf that is 6ft by 2ft which i could get 5 for the doors and put some decorative beading on them. then fill in the top gap with some more mdf cut to the right size..Not sure if anyone can follow me :LOL:

I could make a carcass then add the doors once i have the carcass screwed to the wall...is it better to build the carcass in the same room(on floor ) or straight to the wall.

Thanks

Mdf is ideal for this , 18mm is fine for both frame and doors, kitchen hinges are ideal [you need 5 per door] conti board is far to flimsy and easily damaged and gives limited decor finish.You don't need a frame as such , run sheet mdf from front to back securing at rear wall floor and ceiling.I would suggest a small plinth top and bottom to allow you to scribe to uneven floor/ceiling [or you could end up with odd shaped doors to accomodate a poor ceiling or floor.]
Alternative to mdf is ready made door , got those in pic from Ikea and infilled alcove to accomodate the size.

//www.diynot.com/network/foxhole/albums/3672/14372

//www.diynot.com/network/foxhole/albums/3672/14373

my god that work was by coggy a blast from the past :D :D
havent heard from him for years
any way i am only one off around 50 good regular posters on here who can happily advise in fitted wardrobes
i will look later today and see if i can add anything usefull ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back