FAO SimonD re: jacuzzi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi simon,

i know a couple of months ago you mentioned in my topic that you also had a hotsprings spa. i wonder if you could give me some advice again, this time not for the heater?

i replaced the heater and it then started to work fine and heated up to temp in 12 hours.

2 weeks ago a plumber was called in to my mums for a problem with the ball cock in the balance tank for the spa. it seems as though due to the spa being in use alot, the ball had snapped off after being not used for so long.....and then being used again alot.

i was not there when he replaced the ball and valve. my mother said that he advised the original ball was set too high and so the water level in the tank was very high. He set it alot lower from what i am told. He commented the lower water level would now enable the spa to heat up even quicker.

after a week or so the pump was switched off and allowed to cool down. the water level dropped in the spa alot, almost to half way. it did used to drop but not this much. when the pump was turned on to bring the level back, it only made it to withing 6 inches of the top of the spa and then the pump switched off on no flow. it appears the balance tank had run dry and began filling up on the ball cock again. it now does this each time it is turned off and allowed to drop.

reading through the literature that came with the spa it seems to indicate that when turned off, the level in the spa will drop until it is level with the balance tank. it does not mention that if the ball is set too low that the water will somehow disappear! is it possible in your experience that due to the ball being set so low, that the water is balancing out at the wrong level and is somehow syphoning out of the tank through the overflow?

or is it likely that the waste valve is passing? im convinced that it is due to the level and syphoning. i have checked the balance tank level but i cannot say that it is THAT much lower than the original water line in the tank, maybe 3 or 4 inches.

thanks

Sponsored Links
I have a HotSprings hottub......but it does not have a balancing tank so I don't feel like I can offer you any help, I'm afraid. I think you may have a Swim Spa, which is rather different.

A quick trawl of the internet turned up this document;
http://www.goldenc.com/acrobat/manuals/Overflow Spa Shell.pdf

Which might be relevant - they seem to advise that 30 litres per day should be replaced......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back