Fascia Boards are not Vertical - Advice Needed Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have two wooden outbuildings with apex roofs, so 4 sides/lengths of guttering to fit. So far I have only done 1. The fascia boards are not vertical, instead they are at 90 degrees to the rake of the roof. The angle is only slight, and the fact that the gutting also slopes slightly (the outside edge of the gutter is fractionally lower than the inside edge) does not affect its performance. What DOES matter is the fact that any downpipe connected slopes 'into' the wall instead of being vertically straight downwards.

I did foresee this problem as I was fitting the guttering, and I nearly opted to fit a wedge-shaped shim at each gutter clip to bring the angle back true, however unless I get shims 3D-printed, it's difficult to find or fabricate something of the exactly correct angle. So I carried on with the job thinking "I'll worry about the downpipe angle later - how hard can it be?".

I had assumed that there was such a thing as a downpipe connector with an adjustable angle (perhaps with a section of corrugated plastic) to adjust for the difference, but I can't find such a thing. Fixed angled connectors come in 30 and 45 degrees only. I therefore want to stop and think before I carry on with the other 3 lengths.

As far as I can see, my options are:
  1. Take the guttering down and fit a (20 degree?) shim at each clip as described above, to bring it true.

2. Fabricate my own angled downpipe coupling with butchered parts and UPVC cement.

3. Let the gutter drain into a hopper, and connect the hopper to the (vertical) downpipe.
Any other ideas welcome, thank you. I am using 65mm square guttering.

Sponsored Links
You can bend down pipe with heat from an hot air gun, if you are careful. Have a cooling spray of water ready, to set the angle once it is right.

Try it with scrap pipe first, to get the hang of it.

#3 for an easy life and will look ok.

you can get adjustable offset down pipe bends, but if you are 20° Out of plumb, then it might be the same at the bottom end.

You could have just used screw heads sticking out of the facia to project the lover parts of the brackets forward.

Sponsored Links
Some good ideas, thank you. I will try the heat-gun-and-bend, and either the screw-head idea or the hopper as plan B.

Could I use a single hopper at the rear of one of the outbuildings with both downpipes flowing into it and a single downpipe running out? This could look quite neat. Size of entire roof is about 16 sq meters to give an idea of rain capture.

Some good ideas, thank you. I will try the heat-gun-and-bend, and either the screw-head idea or the hopper as plan B.

Could I use a single hopper at the rear of one of the outbuildings with both downpipes flowing into it and a single downpipe running out? This could look quite neat. Size of entire roof is about 16 sq meters to give an idea of rain capture.

Easily.

Original Poster here. An old thread I know, but I thought I would come back and show what I did.

Although more fiddly, I opted in the end to make shims - lots of them - to bring the gutter horizontal, compensating for the facia board being off-vertical. The angle needed was about 18 degrees. I had some offcuts of fence posts that are made from recycled plastic (but made to look like wood). I made shims from this using a chop saw. By sheer luck, the dark brown of these matched *exactly* with the facia boards, which are already painted with Cuprinol Shades "Seasoned Oak". You really cannot see the difference. A lucky break there.

Photo below. I appreciate all the suggestions given.
Gutter Shims.JPG

You mde the right decision, I hadn't quite realised the angle - you gutter would not have worked well at such an angle.

Excellent solution - I did the same with timber, planing a long edge to the correct angle then cutting into small sections. Drilling a hoie for the screw through the gutter and before fitting, soaking for days in a preservative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back