fascia boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When fitting timber fascia boards how much higher than the tops of the rafter feet should they be fastened to take the slate roof . Is it better to use nails (maybe lost heads- to make painting easier i.e. no screw heads to fill) or screws.
Also what material is best to use for soffits

All advice welcomed

Sponsored Links
genuine 'slates' need very little kick whereas some concrete interlocking tiles need about 50mm.

slates should be ok off about 30mm.

you could always temporarily fix a couple of courses of short lath and dry run a couple of slates and manually lift them then measure.

over do it rather than under do it as the latter looks shoite. so long as the slates don't back fall. ;)

are you fitting overfascia vents?

Thanks for reply, No I'm not using overfascia vents - any thoughts on best material for sofits? would external ply be suitable or maybe silicate board possibly.

Sponsored Links
I don't like ply anywhere near the eaves. Just one bit of water can lead to it delaminating and requiring a whole new section.

Asbestalux or similar or plastic would be preferable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back